Steve Martin gives Eddie Murphy some blunt Oscars hosting advice
But what did the former host really mean?
Eddie Murphy has five months to go before his inaugural gig hosting the 84th Academy Awards (assuming he doesn't get cold feet along the way). The publicity-shy comedy icon hasn't asked for any advice from former hosts, but that didn't stop his old buddy Steve Martin from chiming in today.
Martin, who hosted twice on his own and co-hosted with Alec Baldwin in 2010, made his advice available to the public on his official site this morning. He made some interesting and pointed suggestions. And, um, perhaps let out some of his own frustrations. So, between the jokes, what did Steve Martin really mean?
"Whatever you do, don't have a co-host. They're a big pain and they just end up breaking your SNL hosting record."*
*That's you Alec Baldwin. We're still convinced either gent would have been better on their own, but we're hoping they're still friends. Hathaway and Franco? Debatable.
"Start slimming down now. You looked kinda paunch in NORBIT."*
*Be careful Steve. You don't want to start seeming old school like your old buddy Billy Crystal. This joke would have been ancient when you hosted two years ago.
"People always say it's a disgrace that neither you nor I have ever won an Oscar, but they're just being correct."*
*This won't endear you to the lifetime achievement committee.
"The losers can feel very sad, so when you're backstage with them, pat their backs, then shake your head sadly. It's a blast!"*
"Fortunately, only you and I can get away with smuggling out an Oscar in our pants."
"Remember to relax and have a good time while 12,000 livebloggers rip you to shreds."*
*More like 100 million viewers on Facebook and Twitter.
"The accounts that certify the voting? Same chad counters from Florida."*
*Hmmm. Would you be alluding to any of the surprise upsets during your hosting years? Did "Avatar" really win in 2009? Don't tease us!
"If you think the show is running long, you're probably thinking of 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, or any shows in the '90s."*
*So, basically, it doesn't matter if it goes over. Unless you're ABC which means it really doesn't matter to the Academy (your real boss).
"If you feel tired midway through, give Neil Patrick Harris a Red Bull and throw some sheet music at him."*
*OK, if Martin is referencing Harris when will the Academy realize he's more than capable of hosting the show? Jon Stewart, Ellen DeGeneres, David Letterman, Chris Rock (sorry Chris) and Johnny Carson were not movie people and were hosts. Why can't Harris?
"Eddie, since you and I are old friends, I sincerely thought you deserved an Oscar nomination for BOWFINGER, the movie we did together that stands alone in comedy history, from which we get no credit or acknowledgment except large paychecks and drivers and any type of food we wanted delivered to us every day in our really nice trailers, I wish you all the best on your Oscar hosting gig."*
*Something tells us Billy Crystal isn't as thrilled that Murphy got the job over for him. Just sayin'.
The 84th Academy Awards are broadcast live on ABC on Feb. 26, 2012. Five months and five days to go.
For year round entertainment commentary and awards season news follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013