Stars begin shilling for future Globes
Gyllenhaal, Baker, Cohen Gervais all to appear on the Golden Globes
The HFPA has begun their annual dribble of celebrity presenter announcements for this year’s comeback edition of the Golden Globes show. Sadly, unlike the Oscars where for many it’s a true honor just to be there or the SAG Awards where you’re usually guilted in to showing up by your union, appearing on the Globes when you aren’t nominated always seems to be the result of any number of clandestine motivations. So, with the show only two weeks away, let’s take a peak at the real justifications from the stars revealed so far, shall we?
Reasoning: “Hey man, so I sort of took a break, but I have this really difficult to market drama ‘Brothers’ coming out later this year that could really use your support, so why don’t I come on by and bring Reese and the boys and, hey – have you seen my new six pack?”
Reasoning: “Meryl may have ‘Doubt,’ but I have ‘Damages’ and God I want another win for season two!”
Reasoning: “So you’re telling me the Emmy bit didn’t do it? But that killed! What do you mean it made the Academy uncomfortable? Who says I have to go on more of these awards shows to show how funny I am? Did Ellen have to do this? How was I supposed to know she hosted the Emmys and the Grammys we don’t watch those in England. Are Brad and Angelina going to be there? Is Cruise and Robert Downey, Jr. coming?”
Reasoning: “From ‘Frida’ to ‘Ugly Betty,’ I love you, you love me. So darlings, when are you adding a producer category?”
Reasoning: “When I finally make a movie someone will see in a projected theater again, I really hope you’ll consider me a real actress even though I haven’t shown any sign of true talent since 1988’s ‘Out of Sight.’ And I know you all think that was just Soderbergh’s editing, but, seriously, as a true actress I’ve...Stop laughing. Seriously. Marc, honey, tell them to stop laughing.”
Reasoning: “What do you mean Tina said no? I just had a baby. Can’t Will and I stay home and watch it on TV? Is this really going to help the new series? Fine!”
Reasoning: “So, basically what you’re saying is that if ‘Funny People’ has any awards heat next year I need to shill myself to the HFPA. Wait, there’s an open bar? Does it have beer? Why didn’t you say so in the first place…”
Reasoning: “I know you passed me over for my work on the smash hit ‘The Mentalist,’ but I’m gonna show you what a classy guy I am by appearing on your two-bit awards show in hopes that you remember next year. Also, it’s the best way for you to remember I’m better looking than Michael C. Hall, Gabriel Byrne and Hugh Laurie combined.”
Reasoning: “Hey there! Before I announce the nominees for Best Overseas Trip Sponsored by A Movie Studio, I just wanted to remind everyone my new romantic comedy ‘He's Just Not That Into You’ opens nationwide on Feb. 6!”
Sacha Baron Cohen
Reasoning: Actually, unclear. Cohen shuns almost all publicity appearances as himself, but this will mark the second time he’s appeared on the Globes. Must like the after parties.
We'll go inside more celebrities minds as the HFPA announce more presenters. Stand by.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013