Sony buys Morgan Spurlock's 'The Greatest Movie Ever Sold'
Fourth major acquisition before Sundance official kicks off
The Sundance Film Festival hasn't even officially opened and yet another picture has found a home. Sony Pictures Worldwide announced today it has acquired the rights to Morgan Spurlock’s new documentary "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold." The film finds Spurlock exploring the world of product placement, marketing and advertising through a film financed entirely by product placement, marketing and advertising. Basically, a possible indictment of the Hollywood moviemaking system. Sony Classics will release the picture in the United States and Canada.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Spurlock is best known for his debut doc "Super Size Me," "Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?" and the TV series "30 Days." No word on when Classics plans on releasing "Ever Sold," but the film will have its world premiere on Saturday.
Other films that have already been picked up at the festival include "Project Him" (HBO Films), "The Music Never Stopped " (Roadside Attractions) and "Taking Shelter" (also Sony Classics). Hot titles that have distributors intrigued include "My Idiot Brother" with Paul Rudd and Zooey Deshanel, "Homework," "Red State" and "Terri."
The 2011 Sundance Film Festival begins today. Look for continuing coverage over the next week on HitFix. You can find out the latest from the festival and awards season by following Gregory Ellwood on twitter at @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013