Shock: Veteran Oscar publicist Ronni Chasen shot and killed
Campaigner was returning from the premiere of 'Burlesque'
Hollywood was woken this morning to the startling news that longtime Oscar and music industry publicist Ronni Chasen was shot five times on Sunset Blvd. last night upon her return from the premiere for "Burlesque." According to the Beverly Hills Police, the 64-year-old crashed into a tree and was found by emergency medical personnel at 12:28 AM. She was transported to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Chasen had represented such legendary actors as Natalie Wood and some of her longtime clients included Hans Zimmer, Dianne Warren. Chasen also represented almost every composer or musical Oscar contender in town and would consult on almost every studio's award season campaigns in that respect. She was currently repping Trent Reznor (for "The Social Network") and Janet Jackson ("Why Did I Ge Married Too?") on the music side. This year her company, Chasen & Co., was consulting with Fox Searchlight overall.
End of official report. Now: shock.
I first remember meeting Chasen when I was consulting for the LA Times working on relaunching The Envelope three years ago. Chasen was consulting for New Line and their push for "The Golden Compass," in particular, in the awards season game. When you met Chasen you immediately knew she was a "lifer." She'd been in Hollywood a long time which meant tread carefully. I remember Chasen being a bit cold to me and defensive for her client. You clearly had to earn her trust if she was going to be straight with you. As the year went on she warmed up a bit (power had its privileges I suppose), but we always had a bit of generation gap in our relationship. Still, when I saw Chasen at the Telluride Film Festival in September, it was a telling sign that awards season was in full swing and in a good way.
It goes without saying, the circumstances surrounding her death are beyond atypical. Colorful plotlines in Hollywood movies and TV series aside, people simply do not get shot and killed in Beverly Hills and certainly not the affluent Sunset Blvd stretch. It is certainly not fair to speculate without more details from the authorities, but it's even harder to believe this was a random shooting. And it may not be so apparent on most social networks, but to say that instant messaging and phones are ringing off the hook in shock across the 323 to 310 is something of an understatement. This is simply hard for most in the industry to believe, this pundit included.
We'll update this post as soon as more details become available.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013