'Sherlock Holmes' and 'True Blood' among Art Director's Guild Nominees
And 'The Jay Leno Show' gets some love in its last days
The nominees were announced today for the Art Directors Guild's 14th Annual Excellence in Production Design Awards for 2009. In order to recognize the worthy achievements in their field, the Art Director's break up their film nominees into three categories. The only big surprise was the lack of a period nomination for "Nine." The film may have gotten horrible reviews, but the production design wasn't one of the reasons why. Another curious omission is the 81st Academy Awards which was nominated for an Emmy last year. Is it possible production designer David Rockwell isn't in the guild or the show wasn't submitted? In either event, congratulations to "Wheel of Fortune" for landing a nomination in its place.
Additionally, "Glee," "Mad Men" and "True Blood" were some of the popular shows recognized on the Television side. Oh, and yes, that is a nod for the soon to be defunct "Jay Leno Show."
The complete rundown of nominees are listed below.
"A Serious Man"
Production Designer: JESS GONCHOR
Production Designer: DAVID WASCO
"Julie & Julia"
Production Designer: MARK RICKER
Production Designer: NATHAN CROWLEY
Production Designer: SARAH GREENWOOD
Production Designer: RICK CARTER, ROBERT STROMBERG
Production Designer: PHILIP IVEY
"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Price"
Production Designer:STUART CRAIG
Production Designer: SCOTT CHAMBLISS
"Where the Wild Thing Are"
Production Designer: K.K. BARRETT
"Angels & Demons"
Production Designer: ALLAN CAMERON
Production Designer: BILL BRZESKI
"The Hurt Locker"
Production Designer: KARL JULIUSSON
"The Lovely Bones"
Production Designer: NAOMI SHOHAN
"Up in the Air"
Production Designer: STEVE SAKLAD
NOMINEES FOR EXCELLENCE IN PRODUCTION DESIGN IN TELEVISION FOR 2009:
Single Camera Television Series
Episode: PILOT â€¨Production Designer: MARK HUTMAN
Episode: SOUVENIR â€¨Production Designer: DAN BISHOP
Episode: KERPLUNKâ€¨Production Designer: MICHAEL WYLIE
Episode: NEVER LET ME GOâ€¨Production Designer: SUZUKI INGERSLEV
Episode: THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE MODE â€¨Production Designer: MARK WORTHINGTON
Television Movie or Mini-Series
"Ben 10 Alien Swarm"
Production Designer: YUDA ACCO
Production Designer: KALINA IVANOV
Production Designer: MICHAEL PICKWOAD
Episode of a Half Hour Single-Camera Television Series
Episode: APOLLO, APOLLO â€¨Production Designer: KEITH IAN RAYWOOD, TERESA MASTROPIERRO
"Flight of the Conchords"
Episode: EVICTED â€¨Production Designer: DAN BUTTS
Episode: COAL DIGGER â€¨Production Designer: RICHARD BERG
Episode:NIAGARAâ€¨Production Designer: MICHAEL GALLENBERG
Episode:DUCKS AND TIGERS â€¨Production Designer: JOSEPH P. LUCKY
Episode of a Multi-Camera, Variety, or Unscripted Series
"The Big Bang Theory"
Episode: THE ADHESIVE DUCK DEFICIENCY â€¨Production Designer: JOHN SHAFFNER
"The Jay Leno Show"
Episode: 51 â€¨Production Designer: R. BRANDT DANIELS
Episode: 604 â€¨Production Designer: JOHN JANAVS
"How I Met Your Mother"
Episode: OLD KING CLANCY â€¨Production Designer: STEPHAN OLSON
"Saturday Night Live"
Episode: HOST - JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE â€¨Production Designer: EUGENE LEE, AKIRA YOSHIMURA, KEITH IAN RAYWOOD
Awards, Music, or Game Shows
"2009 CMT Music Awards"
Production Designer: ANNE BRAHIC
"51st ANNUAL Grammy Awards"
Production Designer: BRIAN STONESTREET, STEVE BASS
"61st ANNUAL Emmy Awards"
Production Designer: STEVE BASS
"66th Golden Globe Awards"
Production Designer: BRIAN STONESTREET
"Wheel of Fortune"
EPISODE: ON LOCATION IN HAWAII â€¨Production Designer: RENEE HOSS-JOHNSON
NOMINEES FOR EXCELLENCE IN PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR COMMERCIALS AND MUSIC VIDEOS FOR 2009:
Commercial: IN AN ABSOLUT WORLDâ€¨Production Designer: JAMES CHINLUND
Commercial: IN THE AIR â€¨Production Designer: CHRISTOPHER GLASS
HOUSE OF IMAGINATION
Production Designer: MARTIN TINO SCHAEDLER
Commercial: Wii â€¨Production Designer: FLOYD ALBEE
Commercial: LIFT â€¨Production Designer: JAMES CHINLUND
News From Our Partners
- Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing TV Roundtable: When My Boys tested its prickly chemistry by inviting some new faces to the poker table The Walkthrough: The New Girl showrunners on topping season two’s big kiss (Part 5 of 5)
- In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness Digital Multiplex: The Last Stand, Side Effects, and More RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Ambitious, Time-Jumping Epic Cloud Atlas
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is What Goes Bump in the Night 'The Simpsons' Taps Kristen Wiig For Guest Arc As FBI Agent CBS Fall 2013 Schedule: 'Mike & Molly' to 2014, More Comedy Thursday, and 'Hawaii' to Friday
- 'Star Trek' Baddie Benedict Cumberbatch Reveals Role's Biggest Challenge Cannes Film Festival 2013: Our Must-See Movies 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Sounds
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival CBS's 2013-2014 Season: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Best Alicia Keys Instagram Photos – Picture Perfect Taylor Swift Fan Arrested for Swimming Near Her Rhode Island Beach House Taylor Swift vs. Pink vs. Rihanna vs. Beyonce: Whose Tour Costume Do You Like Best? – Readers Poll
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hulu.com: 7 Things That Wouldn't Exist Without The Office Larry Womack: In Defense of (the Original) James T. Kirk 'Storage Wars': Ivy Finds Giant Clam Shell
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013