Sean Penn throws his Oscar weight behind Javier Bardem and 'Biutiful'
Oscar winner moderates Q&A with Bardem and director Inarritu
Sean Penn left little doubt as to whom he’s backing for best actor in the Oscar race when he moderated a Q&A at a packed screening of “Biutiful,” Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu’s searing new movie starring Javier Bardem. Hosted by SAG Film Society, the event took place at the Directors Guild of America theater in Los Angeles.
Similar to Jake Gyllenhaal’s recent hosting of a “Blue Valentine” screening, Oscar-winner Penn used his star power to shine a light on potential best actor nominee Bardem. Bardem won the best actor award at the Cannes FIlm Festival in May for the role. He’s a previous best supporting actor Oscar winner for “No Country for Old Men.”
Penn praised the immense depth and humanity the Spanish actor brought to the story of a dying hustler manuevering through Barcelona’s underbelly. His character traffics bootlegged goods, made by undocumented Chinese sweat shop workers, through Senegalese street vendors, also in Spain illegally. He’s also raising two small children, having gained sole custody from his bi-polar ex wife. The movie is Mexico’s submission for best foreign language film.
Penn, who has spent the better part of the past year in Haiti leading humanitarian efforts following January’s devastating earthquake and it was clear that the inhumane conditions experienced by the immigrant underclass in “Biutiful” resonated deeply with him. So much so that he asked the audience how the film making community could spread the message of the film and become a more socially conscious collective as a whole.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
“The movie is about compassion,” Bardem said. “In the mind, if we feel numb there’s no hope.” He admitted the five-month shoot was often brutal. “[Alejandro] likes to go to the bone of it. He proposed to me a life experience, not just a performance, and now we’re back. Thank goodness.”
The shoot “was intense as hell. It took us places we didn’t want to go,” Inarritu admitted.
Bardem’s character, Uxbal, appeared to the writer/director and, in many ways, dictated the story’s outline. “The first idea is the guy is dying and the rest followed,” Inarritu said. “This is a journey of Uxbal enlightening himself and finding his humanity.”
"Biutiful" opens in limited release on Dec. 29th.
Follow Melinda Newman on Twitter @MelindaNewman
News From Our Partners
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013