Oscar Watch: The first official Academy screeners areâ€¦
And nope, it's not 'Social Network' or 'Inception'
It's always a sign that the race is officially off. That magic moment when Academy members open their mailboxes and receive their first Oscar contending screener. In the past, films such as Sony Classics' "Frozen River" have gotten out of the gate before anyone else and used it to their advantage. Many campaigners credit that early release for helping Melissa Leo land a best actress nomination and screenwriter Courtney Hunt finding herself with a surprising nod for best original screenplay. This year, Sony Classics is again making making the first screener move by distributing Rodrigo Garcia's "Mother and Child" and the Australian triller "Animal Kingdom" to voters.
HitFix has confirmed AMPAS members will receive the screeners today and tomorrow (some even got them yesterday). Here are some photos of the screeners and who they are pushing for consideration per Academy rules.
And the back with the for your consideration contenders.
Two of the more positively reviewed films of the year, "Kingdom" is a contender in the best original screenplay race for David Michod and Jacki Weaver has a fighting chance to land a best supporting actress nod. "Mother and Child" has a tougher race ahead of it, but Garcia could play in the best original screenplay category and Kerry Washington could make noise in the best supporting actress field. Sony Classics has a big awards campaign year ahead with the excellent "Inside Job," "Tamara Drewe," "Another Year" and "Made in Dangeham" all generating serious heat in numerous categories.
Members will get a majority of their screeners between Thanksgiving and Christmas for the all important holiday break where many nomination votes are made and lost.
Do you think "Kingdom" or "Child" have a chance in any categories? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- Jennifer Aniston Strips In New Movie AMC Boss Reveals Plans For 'The Walking Dead's' Future Amy's Baking Co. Owner Facing Deportation?
- Rihanna Bares Butt on Instagram [Pic] Kid Ink to Release 'Almost Home' EP on May 28, Tour With Kendrick Lamar Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- Interview: Arrested Development’s Jeffrey Tambor on the show’s return and inevitable movie Gateways To Geekery: An initiation into the psychedelic sci-fi rock of Hawkwind Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single
- Netflix's 'Hemlock Grove': Is Season 2 in the Cards? 'Arrow' Season 2: What Major Scene Was Cut From the Finale? J.J. Abrams Adresses 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Underwear Scene by Showing Benedict Cumberbatch Showering
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013