Oscar Watch: 'Inglourious Basterds'' Waltz goes Hollywood
Plus: BAFTA brings Yankees and Brits together
The last thing Awards Campaign wants to do is give more press to the Hollywood Film "Awards," but when "Inglourious Basterds" standout Christoph Waltz is getting an honor it's hard to ignore.
Waltz, who played the hilariously evil Col. Hans Landa in "Basterds," is set to receive the best supporting actor award from the sham, er, show next week. Whether Waltz is the frontrunner to win Oscar remains to be seen, but the more exposure publicity this longtime German TV actor gets is only a good thing for his career and audiences who will get to see more of his work. Waltz has already used his notoriety to land another high profile gig playing another villain, although probably for a much bigger paycheck, in Seth Green's upcoming "The Green Hornet."
The Hollywood Awards have also announced their "World Awards" (is that trademarked yet fellas?) saluting international films. This year's crop is the predictable, yet worthy "Bright Star," "A Prophet," "The White Ribbon," "I Am Love" and "Lourdes." The party starts Oct. 26 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
In other news, the annual and classy BAFTA Awards announced some of the presenters for this year's upcoming gala. Scheduled to appear are a mix of Yankees and Brits including Amy Adams, Bencicio Del Toro, Minnie Driver, Ewan McGregor and "Slumdog Millionaire" star Dev Patel. This year's recipients include (get ready for it) the Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film winner Robert De Niro; the BAFTA/LA Humanitarian Award winner Colin Firth; Britannia Award for British Artist of the Year Emily Blunt, and Danny Boyle who is receiving the John Schlesinger Britannia Award for Artistic Excellence in Directing. Make your guesses on who will present to whom.
Some additional quick bits:
- Duncan Jones starts a grassroots effort to land Sam Rockwell a Best Actor nomination for "Moon." [Thanks to In Contention for the tip.]
- A call for James Gandolfini to land an Oscar nod for his vocal work in "Where The Wild Things Are" (can't disagree with that one, but Jason Schwartzman needs the same recognition for "Fantastic Mr. Fox").
- The LAT talks to Ewan McGregor about "Ameila," "Men Who Stare At Goats" and working with Roman Polanski.
For constant updates on awards season and entertainment news follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter at Twitter.com/HitFixGregory
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra Comics Panel: New releases include an alternative detective story and a new collection examining the collective urban subconscious Permanent Records: The Breeders’ Last Splash is a rallying cry for the weirdos and stereotype-flouters
- Daft Punk, 'Random Access Memories' – Album Review Adam Levine Inviting Shakira Over for Sweaty Bikram Yoga Sessions, Sparks Rumors Chris Brown, Demi Lovato + More React to Oklahoma Tornado Tragedy
- Meet The New 'X Factor' Judges 5 Women We're Excited to See On TV This Fall How 'Vikings' Leading Man Travis Fimmel Nearly Got Away...
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After Warehouse 13 "The Sky's the Limit" Review: Up Up and Away
- Microsoft Announces Foza Motorsport 5 as an Xbox One Launch Title '24: Live Another Day': Will Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe Return? Xbox One's Xbox Live Services Will Get a Boost
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013