Oscar Watch: Danny Boyle's '127 Hours' makes London Searchlight friendly
Plus: The new poster for Ben Affleck and Jon Hamm's 'The Town'
The openings and galas for the major fall film festivals have been coming fast and furious over the past two weeks and the London Film Festival just landed a major coup over their more prestigious rivals. Already hosting the European premiere of Fox Searchlight's "Never Let Me Go" for opening night, the LIFF revealed it will close with the world premiere of another Searchlight title, Danny Boyle's "127 Hours."
Based on the true story of the tragic accident American Aron Ralston's suffered while mountain climbing on his own in a Utah canyon. After a boulder crashed on his arm, he was forced to make a dramatic decision to save his life. James Franco plays Ralston.
Searchlight and Boyle are no stranger to the London Film Festival. The studio had Wes Anderson's "Fantastic Mr. Fox" open last year's edition and Boyle's Oscar-winning "Slumdog Millionaire" screened in 2008. The mini major has a busy fall with "Black Swan" opening the Venice Film Festival and "Never Let Me Go" debuting at Toronto.
For all our readers on the other side of the pond looking for a collection of world class films, the 54th London Film Festival runs between Oct. 13-28. G
In other news, Warner Bros. released the final domestic poster or Ben Affleck's "The Town" which is embedded in this post for your viewing pleasure. Also screening at this year's Toronto Film Festival, the thriller is based on Chuck Hogan's novel "Prince of Thieves" and stars Affleck, Jon Hamm, Rebecca Hall, Blake Lively (in her most unconventional role yet), Jeremy Renner and Chris Cooper. The key art surprisingly minimizes its stars for a striking image of "nuns" in the middle of an armed robbery. Are you a fan?
For the latest entertainment commentary and breaking news year round, follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory .
News From Our Partners
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013