Oscar Predictions: A 'King' will be crowned best actor
The biggest slam dunk of the night
Every year there always seems to be one or two categories that is a foregone conclusion. Now matter how some members of the media try to spin it, there is no drama, no suspense and even the other nominees know they aren't going to win the day the nominations were announced. Those honorees are just dressing up and enjoying the show. Welcome then, to the best actor race for the 83rd Academy Awards. Before getting to the obvious winner, let's respect the other nominees and review the field, shall we?
Javier Bardem was something of a surprise nominee for his performance in the dark drama "Biutiful" knocking Ryan Gosling and Robert Duvall out of the race, but the former best supporting Oscar winner got a big boost from public endorsements from Julia Roberts, Kathryn Bigelow and Sean Penn. Even so, the nomination is absolutely the win for Bardem here.
If you were to believe Jesse Eisenberg, "The Social Network" star would prefer to be home in Brooklyn instead of attending his first Academy Awards at the Kodak Theater. Instead, the 27-year-old actor, who will now forever be linked to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, will have to try and enjoy himself on Oscar's biggest night.
Good luck trying to find anyone on either side of the Atlantic who isn't a fan of Colin Firth. From his impressive body of work to his amazing charitable endeavors, Firth is considered a pillar in the acting community. Just a year ago, many thought Firth had delivered the performance of his career in "A Single Man," but the Brit found himself in the shadow of Jeff Bridges' Oscar triumph. As the monarch in question in "The King's Speech," don't expect him to sit quietly this time around.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
James Franco will have double duty on Oscar night. Not only will he be sweating over his first Academy Award nomination, but he's also co-hosting the show with ever adorable Anne Hathaway. The always busy Franco was simply amazing as trapped hiker Aron Ralston in Danny Boyle's "127 Hours," but this just isn't his year. Something tells us, however, Franco won't be away from Oscar for long.
Winner: Place your bets on Colin Firth as there is simply no upset contender in the wings. Franco and Bridges conceded the race to him long ago and, simply, it's time.
We'll find out the results when the 83rd Academy Awards are announced this Sunday at 8 PM ET/ 5 PM PT on ABC. Visit HitFix for full coverage including red carpet galleries, a live blog of the show, best and worst, analysis, red carpet rewind and more.
News From Our Partners
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
If anyone was to upset Colin Firth for best actor who would it be?
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013