Oscar Contender: Jane Campion's "Bright Star"
Is it more than this year's resident British period piece?
It's hard to imagine but it's been 16 years since Jane Campion delivered her masterpiece, "The Piano," to the movie world. Nominated for eight Oscars it won three including a screenwriting statue for Campion, best actress recognition for Holly Hunter and 10-year-old Anna Paquin's shocking win for best supporting actress (a recognition she's more than deserved as any fan of "True Blood" will tell you).
In the intervening years though, Campion seemed to lose her way. "The Portrait of a Lady" was received coldly, "Holy Smoke" was seen as something of a lark and "In the Cut"? Well, that disaster is better left unspoken. However, it has been six years since her last narrative film and many thought Campion's better days were behind her. After "Bright Star" debuted at the Cannes Film Festival this past May, that hardly seems the case.
The story of the love affair between Britain's great poet John Keats (Ben Winshaw) and Franny Brawne (Abbie Cornish), "Star" was one of this year's Cannes entries to not split the world press. Almost universally admired, the romance was called "an exquisite piece of filmmaking" by the Daily Telegraph and Allan Hunter of Screen International predicted it would "be warmly embraced as a prestige item with awards potential." And the key word here appears to be "potential." Both Winshaw and Cornish earned praise for their performances, but have hurdles to overcome in the acting categories unless the film truly flies stateside. On the other hand, as the trailer attests, little known Aussie cinematographer Greig Fraser has filmed some gorgeous scenes and costume and production designer Janet Patterson is a three-time Oscar nominee who once again seems in her element in the Victorian age.
The questions are, however, whether the film can strike a chord with Academy members (and U.S. critics for that matter) as the only true period piece in the game, if Winshaw's physically demanding performance can breakthrough more established competition and, more importantly than you would think, if Cornish can be forgiven for being the "other woman" in the messy Ryan Phillipe/Reese Witherspoon divorce.
Look for more contender preview pieces all through the month of August, but in the meantime, check out the trailer here or embedded above and the film's arresting poster and share your thoughts on "Bright Star" below.
News From Our Partners
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013