Mark your calendar the 83rd Academy Awards return to February
Does the Golden Globes mean less for awards season next year?
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced a slew of key dates for the 83rd Academy Awards today and happily, there will be no extended awards season again in 2011.
Because of competition from the Winter Olympics, the entire Oscar schedule was pushed back two weeks this past year creating more time for senseless drama such as the "Lockergate" E-mail affair. That won't occur in 2011. The Academy Awards will return to February, more specifically, Sunday, Feb. 27. Nominations, which were announced Feb. 2 this year, will move to January 25, 2011. This also puts Nominations Day smack in the middle of the 2011 Sundance Film Festival (where it traditionally takes place).
More intriguingly for awards watchers, nomination ballots are now due on Friday, Jan. 14 which is just two days before the 2011 Golden Globe Awards. This past year, ballots were due after the Globes raising the HFPA's stakes in the entire Oscar process. That will not be the case during this upcoming Awards Season. What it will shine a light on, however, is how important holiday screeners are in the nomination race.
Additionally, the Academy announced that Sid Ganis will produce this year's private Governors Awards presentation (why is this not being broadcast again?) and a date for the always rockin' Scientific and Technical Awards presentation. For a complete rundown of the 2010-11 calendar, see the list below.
- Saturday, November 13, 2010: Governors Awards presentation
- Wednesday, December 1, 2010: Official Screen Credits forms due
- Monday, December 27, 2010: Nominations ballots mailed
- Friday, January 14, 2011: Nominations polls close 5 p.m. PT
- Tuesday, January 25, 2011: Nominations announced 5:30 a.m. PT, Samuel Goldwyn Theater
- Wednesday, February 2, 2011: Final ballots mailed
- Monday, February 7, 2011: Nominees Luncheon
- Saturday, February 12, 2011: Scientific and Technical Awards presentation
- Tuesday, February 22, 2011: Final polls close 5 p.m. PT
- Sunday, February 27, 2011: 83rd Annual Academy Awards presentation
Some big questions remain for the Academy board to decide over the next few months. With Bill Mechanic and Adam Shankman not expected back (never say never) after this past year's uninspired effort, who of note will take the reins of the big show? And after the double dip of Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin didn't live up to most viewers expectations, who will host the evening? Could Hugh Jackman or Jon Stewart return? Is it too far fetched to ask for a lady to host the proceedings? We can only dream.
Who would you like to host next year's Oscars? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013