'Mad Men' delivers a dramatic new preview for Mark Wahlberg's 'The Fighter'
Christian Bale and Melissa Leo dominate a much more intriguing sneak peek
Talk about a 180 degree turnaround. After initially releasing a teaser that did everything possible to position David O. Russell's "The Fighter" as the next uplifting sports drama, Paramount Pictures debuted a new preview during the season finale of "Mad Men" tonight that made the prestige buzz around the picture much, much clearer.
Very few journalists have seen "The Fighter" but the film made its way around the town's screening rooms when Relativity, which financed it, was looking for a studio to release it earlier this year (and before they brought on Overture's marketing and distribution team). The feedback was that it was a very good film that was much more art house or "prestige" than a commercial slam dunk. Perhaps recognizing "Mad Men's" sophisticated audience, Paramount decided to finally show the film's true style and impact in this new preview. At the moment, this is just for "Mad Men," but reaction to it might make Paramount reconsider (as any studio would).
The true story of boxer "Irish" Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg), "The Fighter" deals with his rise at a late age to that of a contending boxer under the tutelage of his older brother (Christian Bale) who suffers on and off from a drug addiction.
While no one can fault Amy Adams (who plays Ward's girl friend) and Wahlberg's work in the film based on the previews, it's becoming increasingly clear Bale and Melissa Leo (Ward's mother) are the standouts. The literally dominate this preview even with Wahlberg getting a majority of the screen time. The style is also much less glossed over as a "studio" movie to what we expect is Russell's true work on the film.
Needless to say, this sort of previews will make the media and industry take "The Fighter" much more seriously as an Oscar contender.
You can watch the preview embedded above and then the original trailer below. Does it change your opinion on the film? Share your thoughts.
"The Fighter" opens nationwide on Dec. 10.
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013