Just one short: 15 submissions means only 3 Best Animated Feature nominees
"Despicable Me" and "The Illusionist" battling for final slot
In a heartbreaker for fans of the Academy Award's best animated feature category, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced there were only 15 qualifying submissions for the 2011 Oscar. According the organization's bylaws, that means only three films can be nominated for best animated feature. To qualify for five nominees, such as in the 2010 race, only 16 films would need to have qualified.
It turns out that 16 were submitted, but one was disqualified. It appears that film was "Yogi Bear." Stunningly, if someone had picked up "Chico and Rita," which would have easily made the cut, we'd have five nominees this year. The Cuban-set drama which debuted at the Telluride Film Festival is already opening across the world, but has no U.S. distributor.
Needless to say, with "Toy Story 3" and "How To Train Your Dragon" presumed locks, this makes the competition for the categories' third slot that much tougher. At this point, it's most likely a race between Universal Pictures' blockbuster "Despicable Me" and Sony Classics' "The Illusionist. A complete listing of all the animated features submitted to the Academy are listed below.
The 15 features are:
“Alpha and Omega”â€¨
"Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore”â€¨
â€¨“The Dreams of Jinsha”
â€¨“How to Train Your Dragon”â€¨
“Idiots and Angels”â€¨
â€¨“Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole”â€¨
“My Dog Tulip”â€¨
“Shrek Forever After”â€¨
“Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue”â€¨
“Toy Story 3”
It's worth noting, “The Dreams of Jinsha,” “The Illusionist,” “Summer Wars” and “Tangled” have not yet had their required Los Angeles qualifying run.
The 83rd Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 25, 2011, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
News From Our Partners
- Ultra Music Festival Dates Announced, Tickets Go on Sale May 21 Girls' Generation's Jessica Poses With Purses in Vogue Girl [Pics] Austin Mahone vs. Jonas Brothers – Pop Clash
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings! News Briefs: CBS Is Pulling Mike & Molly's Season Finale Due to a Tornado Storyline
- Hear This: With “Deceptacon,” Le Tigre captured the sound of youth in a song Watch This: Walter Hill’s The Driver is all about work done well Scenic Routes: A quiet scene from The Matrix demonstrates how to make exposition compelling
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion NBC's 'Siberia': New Reality-Skewing Drama Ordered for Summer
- Joe Satran: Who's Winning The 'Game Of Thrones'? Andrew Jenks: Where Guns Are as Common as Cell Phones Renee Graziano: Look Before You Love
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013