Is Fox Searchlight daring you to see '127 Hours'?
New campaign proves it isn't giving up on Danny Boyle's acclaimed drama
After the unexpected drama that has circled Danny Boyle's amazing "127 Hours," most studios or distributors could be forgiven for letting the picture's box office run its course. That is not Fox Searchlight's mantra, however. The studio that took Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire" to Oscar heights isn't giving up on "Hours" even if a best picture nod now seems unlikely and the film has only grossed $8.5 million so far in no more than 433 theaters.
This week the studio sent out T-shirts to media and industry folk with the buzzworthy tagline "I Kept My Eyes Open for 127 Hours." There is also a new website promising more content at ikeptmyeyesopenfor127hours.com. It's a very public nod to the somewhat unnerving overreaction a minuscule number of moviegoers have had to the film's reenactment of Aaron Johnson's treacherous accident in a Utah canyon. Even competing studios have been surprised by the reported incidents of attendees fainting or having "attacks" during the picture. Especially since most horror movies have much nastier things depicted on screen than that what occurs for a brief moment in "Hours." By taking this position, however, Searchlight is telling those that have seen "127 Hours," survived and loved it to wear that as a badge of honor. Needless to say, I'm 100% on board as the film's ranking in my upcoming top 10 list will no doubt prove.
Meanwhile, the studio is thrilled at "Hours" three Golden Globe nominations including best actor (James Franco), best screenplay and best original song. Can "127 Hours" use year-end awards and nominations to turn into an indie hit? Searchlight hasn't given up yet and if you haven't seen it? Don't be afraid. The movie might just surprise you.
Have you seen "127 Hours"? Did you keep your eyes open?
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013