Is Sean Penn crashing the best actor race?
Weinstein Company picks up 'This Must Be The Place'
After his public comments about the editing of "The Tree of Life," we're still unsure if Sean Penn will appear at any future SAG screening or, now, Academy member screenings of the critic's favorite, but his other film from the 2011 Cannes Film Festival has finally found a home. HitFix can confirm The Weinstein Company has picked up U.S. distribution for Paolo Sorrentino's "This Must Be The Place."
The unconventional road movie begins with our hero, former Goth rocker Cheyenne (Penn), deciding to follow his father's obsession with finding a Nazi officer who made his life hell while he was interned at the Auschwitz concentration camp. This man may still be alive somewhere and Cheyenne leaves his family to crisscross America in his hunt for the rogue SS officer. The picture, which mixes comedy and striking sentimentality, also stars Frances McDormand, Judd Hirsch and David Byrne as, um, David Byrne.
"The Place" received positive notices after its Cannes debut, but the reaction to the film was mostly all over the place (a consistent thread in most reviews). Penn received a significant amount of praise for his performance as a man stuck in the '80s (he still looks like a Robert Smith of The Cure wannabe), but according to sources there is no plan on releasing "The Place" in time for Academy qualifying. Instead, the picture, which will need a deft hand on the publicity side, will come out sometime in 2012.
That effectively eliminates two-time Oscar winner Penn from this year's race which should feature Leonardo DiCaprio ("J. Edgar"), Gary Oldman ("Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"), Jean Dujardin ("The Artist"), Michael Fassbender ("Shame"), Brad Pitt ("Moneyball"), Michael Shannon ("Take Shelter"), Ryan Gosling ("Drive," "The Ides of March"), Anton Yelchin ("Like Crazy") and George Clooney ("The Descendants"). Of course, Harvey Weinstein has been known to throw last minute surprises into the awards season mix. And since it's only Sept. 21, well, never say never.
For year round entertainment commentary and awards season news follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013