George Clooney and Alexander Payne tease 'The Descendants'
Who is he?
It's extremely rare for anyone to get too excited about a movie teaser site these days, but when it features the first look at the long awaited return of a critically acclaimed filmmaker people take notice.
This morning Fox Searchlight launched a site for Alexander Payne's "The Descendants" which features a short clip of star George Clooney running around a Hawaii neighborhood only to stop and ask two other actors "Who is he?" You can watch the clip at the appropriately titled who-ishe.org site here.
Little is known about the storyline for "The Descendants" except that it was shot in the nation's 50th state and the previously released log line: "A land baron tries to re-connect with his two daughters after his wife suffers a boating accident." Is Clooney the land baron? If so, then who is "he"? And that's why they call it a teaser folks…
[Update: Call it intense allergies, a premonition of despair over FOX canceling half their schedule or lack of sugar, but I missed the boat on this one. The movie is based on a novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings and Searchlight has a more indepth breakdown on their site:
From Alexander Payne, the creator of the Oscar-winning "Sideways," set in Hawaii, "The Descendants" is a sometimes humorous, sometimes tragic journey for Matt King (George Clooney) an indifferent husband and father of two girls, who is forced to re-examine his past and embrace his future when his wife suffers a boating accident off of Waikiki. The event leads to a rapprochement with his young daughters while Matt wrestles with a decision to sell the family’s land handed down from Hawaiian royalty and missionaries. ]
The dramedy also stars Judy Greer, Shailene Woodley ("The Secret Life of the American Teenager"), Matthew Lillard (career boost!), Beau Bridges and Robert Forster among others. This is Payne's first directing effort on the big screen since "Sideways" almost seven year sago. Since then, Payne helmed the pilot for HBO's "Hung" and produced the indies "Cedar Rapids" and "King of California."
Like all of Payne's films before it, "The Descendants" should be a key player this awards season. It opens theatrically Dec. 16.
For everyday entertainment commentary and more follow Gregory Ellwood on twitter @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013