First Look: Is Roland Emmerich's 'Anonymous' Oscar bait?
The director of 'ID4' and '2012' goes 16th Century old school
Roland Emmerich has talked for years about finally making a film that doesn't involve a aliens, a natural disaster or 200 CGI shots. He struck out the first time around with 2000's middling "The Patriot," but after the global success of "2012," Sony Pictures has finally given him another chance with "Anonymous."
The new drama explores the long pondered question: Who was the author of the plays credited to William Shakespeare? Was there more than one playwright? Starring Vanessa Redgrave, Rhys Ifans, Joely Richardson, David Thewlis, Xavier Samuel, Jamie Campbell Bower and Derek Jacobi, the fictional tale promises to mix "cloak-and-dagger political intrigue" with "illicit romances in the Royal Court" and political backstabbing only 16th Century England can provide. It's worth noting, little known Rafe Spall (son of Timothy Spall) is credited as playing Shakespeare.
The studio have slotted "Anonymous" with a Sept. 30, 2011 opening which is on the verge of awards season's usual Oct. 1 theatrical window. Is it a real player or an "Other Boleyn Girl" or "The Duchess" like pretender? We'll have to wait a few more months to find out, but in the meantime, Sony has released the first new image from the drama which you can see embedded below.
News From Our Partners
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013