First Look: Is Roland Emmerich's 'Anonymous' Oscar bait?
The director of 'ID4' and '2012' goes 16th Century old school
Roland Emmerich has talked for years about finally making a film that doesn't involve a aliens, a natural disaster or 200 CGI shots. He struck out the first time around with 2000's middling "The Patriot," but after the global success of "2012," Sony Pictures has finally given him another chance with "Anonymous."
The new drama explores the long pondered question: Who was the author of the plays credited to William Shakespeare? Was there more than one playwright? Starring Vanessa Redgrave, Rhys Ifans, Joely Richardson, David Thewlis, Xavier Samuel, Jamie Campbell Bower and Derek Jacobi, the fictional tale promises to mix "cloak-and-dagger political intrigue" with "illicit romances in the Royal Court" and political backstabbing only 16th Century England can provide. It's worth noting, little known Rafe Spall (son of Timothy Spall) is credited as playing Shakespeare.
The studio have slotted "Anonymous" with a Sept. 30, 2011 opening which is on the verge of awards season's usual Oct. 1 theatrical window. Is it a real player or an "Other Boleyn Girl" or "The Duchess" like pretender? We'll have to wait a few more months to find out, but in the meantime, Sony has released the first new image from the drama which you can see embedded below.
News From Our Partners
- Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do.
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing 'X Factor' Deal Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013