Exclusive: Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Amy Adams in dramatic 'The Fighter' clip
Superb scene from entertaining Oscar contender
Sometime next month, a friend, colleague or relative will tell you about this "great" movie they just saw. And eventually, you might be surprised to discover it's the tad under the radar David O. Russell drama "The Fighter." Now, it seems odd to think of a Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale movie as "under the radar," but this is one prestige pic that won't be much longer.
Featuring a number of strong performances from Wahlberg, Bale and Amy Adams in particular, "Fighter" tells the true story of boxer "Irish" Micky Ward (Wahblerg) and his last run at big time fighting under the wandering eye of his older brother Dickie (Bale) who also happens to be a relapsing crack addict. Adams plays Ward's girlfriend who is trying to help him break free from his controlling mother (Melissa Leo) and unreliable siblings. The picture has largely been sold as an inspirational drama -- which it is -- but it's also very funny and more entertaining than you'd expect. Basically, it's just as much a crowd pleaser as an awards season player.
One of the film's key scenes finds Ward with the biggest fight of his career on deck. Dickie has just been released from prison and he expects to return as Micky's trainer before this huge fight. In the middle of a training session, Micky's mother and Dickie confront our hero who is torn between his family and his girlfriend and new trainer. Wahlberg is great here, but make sure to pay close attention to Adams. Her eyes say more than any dialogue she was given -- her character is devastated -- and its a prime example of how this may be Adams' best work to date.
"The Fighter" opens in limited release on Dec. 10 and nationwide on Dec. 17.
News From Our Partners
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013