Exclusive: John C. Reilly sets up 'Terri' in new clip of Sundance favorite
Wouldn't you like to skip homeroom if you could?
One of the great things about John C. Reilly is that even after his success in films Hollywood hits such as "Talladega Nights," "Step Brothers," "Gangs of New York" or "Chicago," he's continued to toke chances on smaller independent films. This year, he's appeared in two festival favorites, "We Need to Talk About Kevin" which debuted at Cannes last month and "Terri," a critical smash that premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival in January.
Written and directed by Sundance vet Azazel Jacobs (2008's "Momma's Man"), "Terri" centers on the title character (Jacob Wysocki), a 15-year-old boy living with his ailing Uncle (Creed Bratton) and so uninterested in attending school he starts having major truancy issues. Reilly plays Mr. Fitzgerald, a Vice-Principal who has decided to take outcast kids like Terri under his wing.
Reviewing "Terri" at Sundance, HitFix's Daniel Fienberg described it as containing "a fair amount of sincere, sometimes painful insight into the difficulties of growing up different." He also noted it also contains "the best single scene I've seen in a movie at Sundance thus far, producing laughter, discomfort and concern in short order."
ATO Pictures has provided HitFix with a an exclusive clip from the dramedy and while it's not the scene Fienberg praises, it's still a very nice and humorous peak into the tone of the film. We find Mr. Fitzgerald attempting to convince Terri why hanging out with him a few days a week instead of going to homeroom is a good thing, assuming his secretary can figure out how to spell. You can watch it embedded above in this post.
Reilly, who recently stole the show in "Cedar Rapids," may also be seen later this year in Roman Polanski's "Carnage" if the filmmaker an get it done in time to qualify for awards season.
"Terri" opens in limited release in New York and Los Angeles on July 1. It then expands across the country throughout July.
For year round entertainment commentary follow Gregory Ellwood on twitter @HitFixGregory
News From Our Partners
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- Demi Lovato vs. Perrie Edwards – PopCrush Prom Queen of 2013, Round 3 Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video]
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013