Exclusive: George Clooney talks 'The Descendants' and a sneak peek at the movie
Check out two great scenes from Alexander Payne's latest
The buzz first started in Telluride, but now it's traveled across the border to Toronto: there is a leading candidate for best actor this year and his name is George Clooney.
The central figure in Alexander Payne's long awaited return, "The Descendants," Clooney plays Matt King, a Hawaiian lawyer trying to grapple with the fact his wife has been in a coma for a few weeks after a major boating accident. The film debuted at the Telluride Film Festival a little over a week ago and has received rave reviews in Toronto as well. In conjunction with the film being screened at Telluride, the Labor Day weekend festival also bestowed on him a career achievement award. Part of the deal in receiving the festival's silver medallion is that you conduct two retrospective talks with patrons over the weekend. Fox Searchlight has now provided Awards Campaign with a nice chunk of one of those discussions with two great clips from the movie included.
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
The talk then transitions to Payne's talent on switching moods quickly in a scene. Clooney notes, "He has a way of turning things so quickly. Things will be very funny and then very sad - on a dime. And it's a real skill. It's not something you have to learn and I don't know many people who do."
The tribute than segues to one of the most memorable moments in the picture. Walter, Alexandra and Alexandra's friend Sid (Nick Krause) are visiting Alexandra's grandparents (Robert Forster and Barbara L. Southern) to let them know their daughter is going to be taken off life support. Alexandra's grandmother is suffering from dementia and the disrespectful Sid says the wrong thing at a serious time and, well, pays the price. But as Clooney noted, it's a quick change of tone that's both believable and entertaining at the same time.
You can watch both clips with Clooney's thoughts from Telluride embedded in the post above.
"The Descendants" opens on Nov. 18.
For year round entertainment commentary follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013