Even Johnny Depp couldn't convince Keira Knightley to do another 'Pirates of the Caribbean'
And on reuniting with her 'Atonement' helmer for 'Anna Karenina'
TORONTO - "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" may have grossed over $1 billion across the globe, but most critics despised it and it didn't have the same spark with American audiences. One of the big reasons why may have been the absence of Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom who appeared in the first three films. Knightley in particular developed quite a rapport with series star Johnny Depp in the last two pictures. Speaking to Knightley at the 2011 Toronto Film Festival on Sunday, this journalist couldn't even propose a return for the expected fifth and sixth installment without an immediate "No" from Knightley's smiling lips.
Knowing moviegoers might have company in hoping she might return I followed up with, "If Johnny Depp called up and says, 'Come on, please just make a cameo?'"
Knightley smiles again and without flinching replies. "No. I said when the second one came out that there wasn’t going to be another one for me. I mean, they were already shooting the third one at that time. I knew that that was going to be it for me. It was an extraordinary experience, you know, but I was 17 when I started it and 21 when I finished. And that’s quite a large chunk of time there. And, you know, they are amazing people, but I’ve always wanted to act because I like changing. I like exploring different things. And I sort of feel like I’ve done the pirating thing, as wonderful as it was and it was amazing."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
"I don’t know. It’s an amazing thing. It’s a bit like Viggo [Mortensen] and David [Cronenberg]," Knightley says. "When you find directors, you find creative collaborations that really work. And I don’t know why it works between me and Joe. We’re working really hard at the moment and hopefully 'Anna Karenina' will work. You never know, it needs a bit of the wind in the right direction and a bit of luck and everything. But we’ve had a great time the other two times we’ve work together."
Knightley continues, "You know, I think it’s a personal thing. I’ve worked with John Maybury a couple of times and got a couple of other directors who were looking for other projects as well. It’s an amazing thing when you find people who you’ve worked with once and there is a collaborative spirit and an energy. It’s really exciting."
"Anna Karenina" is about to begin production for a 2012 release. "A Dangerous Method" will hit theaters on Nov. 23.
For year round entertainment news and commentary follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory.
News From Our Partners
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - New Girl: Wedding Do's and Don'ts
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013