Disney does Marvel synergy right with 'Tron' and ESPN
Studio smartly working its $4 billion purchase throughout its properties
Having worked at two major media companies I know something about how difficult it is to get different divisions to work together. Synergy was the buzz word in my early days at NewsCorp owned 20th Century Fox International and seemed always more of a talking point than anything that was ever seriously implemented (at least back in the day). At Viacom's Paramount Pictures, divisions could certainly work with each other, assuming you'd pay something out of your budget to make it happen. Competitors always thought the studio had it easy with MTV, but unless it was an MTV Film or someone shouted from the top of the Viacom ladder, you weren't getting much help from the all important cable net. So, it's something of a surprise that after only one year, the Walt Disney Company has been able to integrate its Marvel properties so quickly into the entire operation.
A very well done "Avengers" TV show debuted on Disney XD last night and this week saw the debut of not just one, but two sets of Marvel Heroes inspired variant covers.
Marvel heroes will be "Tron-ized" in variety covers for "Amazing Spider-Man," "Avengers," "Captain America," "Invincible Iron Man," "Thor" and more beginning next month. You can see them all on Marvel.com, but a taste of Cap below (gotta love that shield).
More impressive, however, is the 31 different covers created by Marvel artists based on classic Marvel comics for the beginning of the 2010-11 NBA season. Each cover will be included in this months ESPN Magazine. It's unclear whether they will be real variant covers, but ESPN, the NBA and Marvel could make a nice penny if they sold them as posters. Here are a few of the HitFix staff's favorites. To see them all click here. Note the strange Grizzles cover. Seems a little odd,? Unfortunately, You can't see that the only Memphis player's name which is visible is Rudy Gay's. Don't ask, don't tell Cap. You figure it out.
Needless to say, all this cross-marketing proves Disney is serving notice to its competitors on just how to do synergy right in 2010.
News From Our Partners
- Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition Video Interviews with Katie Aselton & Lake Bell of Black Rock
- 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now! 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In!
- 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II': The Oscar-Winning Movie is Getting a Sequel 'The Bling Ring' Cannes Premiere: Emma Watson Steals the Show (PHOTOS) Why Brad Bird Turned Down 'Star Wars: Episode VII'; Talks 'Incredibles' Sequel
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Supernatural Season 8 Finale Review: It's Raining Angels Watch an Extended Trailer for CBS's Under the Dome (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- 'Zombieland' TV Series: Amazon Passes on the Pilot 'How I Met Your Mother' Final Season Spoilers: Producers Explain Time-Turning Format Change 'The Hangover Part 3′ Red-Band NSFW Trailer: It's Time to End the Trilogy
- Ilana Rapp: Actor Richard Harmon From Bates Motel and Continuum Talks about SpongeBob Squarepants and Yoga 'The Last Classic TV Comedy'? 'Biggest Loser' Host: 'I've Never Seen Jillian Eat A Cupcake'
- Listen to Selena Gomez's 'Come & Get It' Remixes Katy Perry vs. Rita Ora vs. Beyonce vs. Kesha vs. Demi Lovato – Who Wore It Best? Chris Brown Launches New 'Channel' Website, Gets More Personal Than Ever
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013