Debra Granik is 'vibrating' over 'Winter's Bone's' four Oscar nods
First time nominee didn't 'think it had a chance'
In Debra Granik's world, even though she'd been given ample warning by distributor Roadside Attractions, landing an Oscar nomination wasn't even a possibility. The director and co-writer of "Winter's Bone" just returned home from the Arctic Circle yesterday (really) having presented her Sundance Film Festival prize winner at the Tromso International Film Festival. She was getting her kids ready for school when a rep from Roadside called her with the news that "Bone" landed four nods including best picture, best actor (Jennifer Lawrence), best supporting actor (John Hawkes) and adapted screenplay for herself and Anne Rosellini.
"The phone rang telling me of this news and I frankly didn't believe it," Granik says. "Because one of the members of [Roadside's] staff has a sense of humor, but it wasn't a prank and it will take me to believe it. I can't scream yet because I'm so paralyzed by my shock."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
On the news, however, Granik also euphorically noted, "I would say I'm kind of vibrating of a very high level of incredulation and adulation."
Granik's reaction was prefaced by her appreciation of the 64 other people who worked on the low budget feature and the 20 staff members at Roadside Attractions that turned it into an indie hit.
"There is a reason that directors are behind the camera. It's hard to be public," Granik says. "Once they know someone enjoys their film you can do a Q&A, but accepting recognition? Me and 64 others who are being told 'Hey you did a good job there.' That's the one that always felt the weirdest. That's shocking."
The filmmaker didn't think they had a chance for the best picture or screenplay nomination and clearly believes her trip to Los Angeles for the Oscars will be the win. Of course, there have been numerous surprises in the screenplay categories when it comes down to the actual winners, but perhaps Granik will consider that possibility once she comes down from this amazing high.
"Throbbing thanks to anyone who responded to the film and made it known. All we have known, all we have is this capital letters, triple underlined thanks."
News From Our Partners
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day One: Sofia Coppola offers the first misfire of the festival Hear This: A song with a long title succinctly encapsulates ’90s power-pop Watch This: Laura Palmer lives—however briefly—in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013