Contrasting posters debut for 'The Tempest' and 'It's Kind of a Funny Story'
A triple theme seems to be in vogue
Two posters for two highly anticipated films made their debut this week and while on the surface they don't have that much in common on the big screen, they may as examples of key art.
First up is Julie Taymor's "The Tempest." A holdover from Disney's sale of Miramax. The adaptation of Shakespeare's play stars Helen Mirren, Djimon Hounsou, Chris Cooper and Russell Brand. The new poster pushes Mirren and Hounsou and the darker elements of the tale in a three segment approach. The question is whether or not that's Brand in the top image or not. In either case, it's somewhat surprising the younger-skewing comedy star wasn't highlighted more in this design. And while certain elements are striking in the design, it's hardly as memorable or iconic as posters for any of Taymor's previous works including "Titus," "Frida" or "Across the Universe." The drama will debut as the closing night feature of the Venice Film Festival and also screen during the New York Film Festival.
Second is another poster pushing three elements - it's stars - Focus Features "It's Kind of a Funny Story." The dramedy is debuting at next month's Toronto Film Festival and stars Zach Galifianakis, Emma Roberts and Keir Gilchrist ("United States of Tara") who all get prominent placement. Of course, even though the film is centered around Gilchrist's character, the more popular "Hangover" star's photo is placed significantly higher to grab the viewer's attention. "Story" opens in limited release on Sept. 24
What do you think of each poster? Share your thoughts below.
For the latest entertainment commentary and breaking news year round, follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory .
News From Our Partners
- Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born Demi Lovato Gets New 'Warrior'-Inspired Tattoo [Pic]
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- Why They Went 'Crazy' 30 EPIC Wedding Disasters 'No One Lives Forever'
- Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Arrow, CSI, and Supernatural CBS's 2013-2014 Schedule: New Nights for Person of Interest and Hawaii Five-0, More Comedy on Thursdays
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Reese Witherspoon Joins Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice' CBS Fall 2013 Trailers: Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Crazy Ones,' Anna Faris' Mom' and More! Sony Trademarks Possible PlayStation 4 Slogan "Greatness Awaits"
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
- Hear This: Connections gives a Guided By Voices-indebted reason to go for the opener Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first Tolerability Index: This week we're barely putting up with The Killing
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013