Comic Con Nightlife: Sylvester Stallone, 'Green Hornet' and Metric
The parties don't stop in San Diego, they conflict
One of the more bizarre things about Comic-Con over the years is just how increasingly busy the party scene has become. And like a major film festival or convention (ie, E3), the parties are just as much publicity events as anything else and Thursday was no exception.
Strangely scheduled almost all at the same time, the first event of the night was an early evening shindig to celebrate "The Green Hornet." Set in a space near Petco Park to allow the inclusion of a number of cars from the Michel Gondry action flick, the reception found stars Seth Rogen (wow, has he gotten slim), "Inglourious Basterds" star Christoph Waltz and Gondry mingling with the press hoping to create good buzz for the January release. "Hornet's" real test will be in Hall H on Friday when the picture debuts new footage for the masses.
At the same time, over 700 people got a surprise "golden ticket" to attend the first public screening of "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" after the film's end of day panel. Afterward, Universal Pictures kept the surprises coming as Canadian rockers Metric, who contributed to the soundtrack, performed four songs for the crowd in a performance HitFix's Daniel Fienberg described as "Energetic! Loud! And maintaining the excitement and momentum from the film itself."
Over at the Hard Rock Hotel, IGN and Lionsgate held a shindig to celebrate their new action adventure "The Expendables." IGN Movies editor Eric Moro introduced Dolph Lundgren, Terry Crews, Steve Austin and Randy Couture who then helped honor their "Expendables" director and co-star Sylvester Stallone by inducting him into IGN's Action Heroes Hall of Fame. It was a classy idea that will be very easy for IGN to make an annual Comic-Con event.
Meanwhile, when the 10 PM hour rolled around, 500 special "Tron" fans (as well as some press including HitFix's Drew McWeeny) got a sneak peek into an expanded Flynn's Arcade just a few blocks away. Last year, the recreation of a key set from the both the first "Tron" and "Legacy" was one of the most buzzed parts of the con, especially with the lifesize model of a lightcycle capping off the space. This installment finds a much bigger "backstage" as they have installed the film's "bar at the end of the line" set for fans to wander through. This writer had the chance to see it in person while filming was going on in Vancouver and is looking forward to walking it Friday night when alcohol will be served.
The adventure continues tomorrow night...
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- Pop Bytes: Michael Jackson's Nephew Negates Wade Robson's Molestation Claims + More Watch Macklemore, Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding + More on Hangout Festival Livestream Dumb Celebrity Quotes – Who Said This?
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- 'Da Vinci's Demons' Review: "The Devil" 'Assassin's Creed' Movie Slated For Memorial Day 2015 Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas'
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013