Clive Owen goes against type in 'The Boys Are Back'
Action star shows his range in new Scott Hicks drama
Hollywood has found Clive Owen's niche. It's tough-minded thrillers such as "Sin City," "The International" and "Shoot 'em Up" and upscale dramas such as "Duplicty" and "Closer." He hasn't broken into comedy yet (except for a few cameos here and there), but with his latest release, "The Boys Are Back," he's definitely showing a more emotional side.
Based on the Simon Carr non-fiction novel of the same name, "Boys" centers on a British sportswriter living in Australia who is struggling with raising his two boys after the unexpected passing of his second wife. Directed by Scott Hicks who first burst on the scene with the excellent "Shine," this drama features a charming performance by youngster Nicholas McAnulty and was warmly received by its premiere audience at this month's Toronto Film Festival.
I sat down with Owen upon his arrival in Los Angeles to chat about "Boys" and how his own experiences as a father helped guide his performance. Check out the interview embedded on this page or click here to see a larger version.
"The Boys Are Back" opens in limited release Friday.
For constant updates on awards season and entertainment news follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter at Twitter.com/HitFixGregory
News From Our Partners
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013