Christina Aguilera and Cher's 'Burlesque' appears anything but Awards-worthy
Watch the new trailer for the new musical
There have been many conflicting reports about the seemingly bizarre concoction that is "Burlesque." Featuring a cast campier than anything John Waters could imagine including Cher, Stanley Tucci, Christina Aguilera (in her big screen debut), Cam Gigandent, Kristen Bell, Alan Cumming, Peter Gallagher and Julianne Hough, the musical has had buzz ranging from "amazing" to "a mess." For Aguilera in particular, anything closer to the former is absolutely necessary (the less said about "Bionic" the better).
The directorial debut of Hollywood lifer Steven Antin, "Burlesque" centers on Ali (Aguilera), a young singer who comes to LA with dreams of becoming a star only to find her big break on the stage of a neo-burlesque club. But does she really have the passion and talent to make it in this tough town? And can Cher and Tucci save the club from being bought out by a real estate mogul all within the span of two hours? And who will Ali fall for: said rich real estate mogul or the overly attractive bartender (Gigandent)? (Something tells me you really don't want any more plot details).
After a few stills found their way to the public last month, Screen Gems has finally debuted a trailer for the new movie (no doubt tagged to "Step UP 3D"). Needless to say, we won't be expecting an Oscar campaign for this one. Hiding the fact the movie is supposed to be a musical, we're treated to Aguilera's attempt to seem like a dowdy small town girl, Cher's increasingly bizarre plastic surgery, Gigandent in eyeliner and a bowler hat and Tucci throwing out the one-liners he's become all too known for (although usually with Meryl Streep in the room). It's unclear if the horrible box office performance of "Nine" caused Screen Gems to pull any notion the film may be a musical or whether those numbers have been dropped in the editing room. One thing is clear though, they are pushing Aguilera's "Moulin Rouge" connection hard with the movie's imagery.
Here's hoping the final product is more entertaining than this yawner of a preview though.
(On second thought, there isn't a lot of competition in the Golden Globe category for Best Musical or Comedy this year...)
What do you think of Cher's big screen return? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 Adds 'The Shield's CCH Pounder As… David Boreanaz, Minka Kelly, Tom Felton and More Go 'Full Circle' for DirecTV Syfy's 'Helix': David Slade Directing 'Battlestar Galactica' Creator Ron Moore's New Series
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My?
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- Is There Hope For Jaime & Brienne Shippers? PHOTOS: Inside Lucille Austero's New Apartment WATCH: Full-Length Trailers For 'The Millers,' 'Hostages' And 'Mom'
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013