Can Margaret Thatcher help Meryl Streep win her third Oscar?
Cinema icon considering reuniting with 'Mamma Mia!' director for new biopic
Meryl Streep may be getting serious about landing that third Oscar. Well, that may be of an overstatement, but Streep is considering playing a key historical figure that screams of Oscar bait: Margaret Thatcher.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Streep would re-team with director Phyllida Lloyd, her "Mamma Mia!" helmer, for "Thatcher," a biopic centering on a tumultuous time in the British Prime Minister's history. Conceived by Damien Jones and Brian Fillis, "Thatcher" takes place primarily during the two weeks prior to the beginning of the 1982 Falklands War. The short campaign helped cement Thatcher's reputation as the "Iron Lady" of Western Europe and made her a hero to the British people. Another Oscar winner, Jim Broadbent, may play Thatcher's husband. The 84-year-old Thatcher served as British PM from 1979-1990.
Historical figures are nothing new for Streep. She's played everyone from Karen Silkwood in "Silkwood" to Karen Blixen in "Out of Africa" and, most recently, Julia Child in "Julie and Julia" (as well as channeled everyone from Hilary Clinton to Anna Wintour in other roles). The former provided Streep with her 16th Academy Award nomination, but was also her - jaw-droppingly - 14th straight loss in a row. To say this is an embarrassment for both Hollywood and the Academy is hard to debate. Moreover, Streep's continuing good humor and classy demeanor over having shown up to lose at the Kodak Theater again and again is a testament to the cinematic icon she's become. Whether playing Thatcher can get the 61-year-old actress back in the winner's circle remains to be seen, but portraying a legendary British figure certainly got Helen Mirren there.
After a busy 2008 and 2009, Streep has not shot anything new since "It's Complicated." The Nancy Meyers comedy grossed an impressive $112 million earlier this year.
No word on how soon "Thatcher" may begin production.
For the latest entertainment commentary and breaking news year round, follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory .
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013