Breaking: M.I.A. gives birth to new baby, will she perform at the Oscars?
Other candidates being lined up, but don't put it past her
HitFix has learned from two independent sources that Hip-Hop artist M.I.A., who impressed many across the world by performing while pregnant on Sunday's Grammy Awards ceremony on her due date, has given birth. HitFix has reached out to Interscope Records for a comment, but has not recieved word at publication date. So, it is unclear whether M.I.A. has delievered boy or a girl, but more importantly: Will she make her scheduled Oscar appearance?
Best known for her hit "Paper Planes," the UK rapper, and singer, who was born Maya Arulpragasam, is an Oscar nominee this year for her collaboration with A.R. Rahman on the "Slumdog Millionaire" Best Original Song nominee "O Saya."
M.I.A. had planned to perform at the ceremony in a mixmash medley that will also feature "Slumdog's" other nominee, "Jai Ho" and "Down to Earth" from "WALL-E." "Earth" songwriter Peter Gabriel made news earlier this week by bowing out of the production when he protested the short time his composition was getting in the show. A collective response of: "Who is Peter Gabriel?" was heard from coast to coast from under 30-year-old moviegoers at the announcement.
If M.I.A. decides not to perform -- and don't put it past her to try -- who will replace her in the show? Crazy ass Lil' Kim? Missy Elliott, Queen Latifah (also slated to appear during another show segment) or Eve? Could MC Lyte be making a comeback? Or, perhaps the Academy will trek Ms. Dynamite or Lady Sovereign over from the U.K.? Or, maybe underexposed M.I.A. buddy Kayne West will take a shot at it?
One thing is for sure, don't count on double threat and Lonely Island collaborator Natalie Portman. She's busy.
Look for predictions, analysis, red carpet photos and the latest winners as HitFix goes inside the Academy Awards all next week.
Can't get enough of awards season? Sign up now for HitFix Blog Alerts and get Awards Campaign 2009 in your inbox every day.
Wait, there's more! Keep up to date by adding Awards Campaign 2009 to your iGoogle, My Yahoo or My MSN experience today. Click here for more information.
Not part of the HitFix Nation yet? Take 90 seconds and sign up today.
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- FTW vs. WTF: The TV Week in Review (May 19) Doctor Who "The Name of the Doctor" Review: The Impossible Girl Made Possible What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy
- Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Announcement Trailer is Full of Swords and Ponytails SNL: Ben Affleck Joins the "Fiver Timers Club" and Explains His Oscar Speech SNL: Iran Responds to 'Argo' With a Film of Its Own
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2' Trailer Had Us At 'Hello': Watch Now! Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office?
- Box Office: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Misses $100M Domestic Mark on Opening Weekend Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO)
- Kanye West Debuts 'Black Skinhead' Kanye Storms 'SNL' The 'Doctors' Unite
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013