Best Picture Contenders 2010: The year Oscar lives dangerously
Yep, it's a weak year, but there are still 29 possible contenders out there
It's no exaggeration to proclaim the advent of the new 10 nominations rule has completely changed the Oscar race. Films that wouldn't have had a stone's throw of being seriously considered when there were only five nominees before now have excellent chances to forever engrave the magic words: "Best Picture Nominee" on their DVD, Blu-ray or iPhone download receipt.
The goal of the change, of course, was to make sure critical and commercial blockbusters such as last year's award season racers "The Dark Knight" and "WALL-E" weren't ignored by the sometimes too discerning Academy members. Things haven't completely worked out in the Academy's favor this year as the number of truly quality commercial hits isn't as large as you'd hope. Making matters worse are films that could have potentially sneaked in such as "Public Enemies" and "Funny People" aren't strong enough to make even a broad contenders cut. Still, looking at the pool of candidates it wasn't hard to find 29 legitimate contenders for Oscar 2010. And yes, they even include some popular summer flicks such as "Star Trek" and "District 9" as well as this December's highly anticipated "Avatar."
Click here to take a gander at the pros and cons of this year's pool of potential nominees and share your thoughts below.
Look for best actor, actress, the supporting categories, director and additional contenders breakdowns in the weeks to come.
For constant updates on awards season and entertainment news follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter at Twitter.com/HitFixGregory
News From Our Partners
- Can You Guess Which Celebrity Lives in This Mansion? Macklemore + Ryan Lewis Cover Billboard, Recall the Glory Days of Drugs, Myspace + More Lady Gaga Wears Sky High Heels to Versace Party [Pic]
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- The Future Of Olivia And Fitz, And More Season 3 Scoop SPOILER ALERT: What's Ahead In 'Nikita' Season 4? Google Glass Does Porn
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
- 'Anchorman 2′ Teaser: Stay Classy, Fat Face! Team Fortress 2′s Robotic Boogaloo Community Update Adds Even More Hats Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D to Launch with L.A. Zoo's Party Animals
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013