8 reasons why Emma Stone's 'Easy A' is September's must see movie
Watch new clips from what could be a teen comedy classic
You can't really beat Emma Stone's track record so far. "Ghosts of Girlfriend's Past" aside, the 21-year-old actress has displayed a wealth of talent since her debut in "Superbad" and starring roles in "The House Bunny" and "Zombieland." Still, when the logo for Screen Gems appeared before trailers for her new picture "Easy A," many no doubt assumed this was another forgettable teen comedy from Sony Pictures' genre label. Newsflash: anyone who dismisses "Easy" before seeing it will be making a huge mistake.
Premiering at next month's Toronto International Film Festival (no joke), "Easy" finds Stone playing Olive, an Ojai high schooler who isn't a loser, but hardly on most of her peers' radar. Things take a turn when she's unintentionally pressured by her best friend Alyson Michalka (the upcoming CW series "Hellcats") to falsely admit she lost her virginity with an imaginary college friend of her brothers. When the school's #1 Christian teen (Amanda Bynes) overhears the gossip, Olive's reputation changes within minutes thanks to the power of the almighty text.
Reviews are embargoed on "Easy" until its Toronto premiere, but anyone who suggests the film could stand equally next to such teen comedy classics as "Clueless," "Mean Girls" and the aforementioned "Superbad" wouldn't be high on crack (really). Eight new clips are now available for "Easy" and they provide an excellent sneak peek of just how smart and contemporary the flick really is. Enjoy.
Thomas Haden Church plays a "cool" teacher Olive and her friends respect because he obviously talks to them as equals.
Meet "Gossip Girl's" Penn Badgley better known as Woodchuck Todd in "Easy" for reasons made clear after this scene.
Amanda Bynes "retired" from acting after shooting "Easy." Perhaps she got too deep into her character?
"Pocket full of sunshine"
You've seen the teaser trailer, but yes, this funny scene is actually in the movie.
"Do you want to go out with me?"
A very cut down version of Olive's charade with "Cougar Town's" Dan Byrd.
"He seemed a little incredibly gay"
Olive's mom (Clarkson) tries to figure out just what is going on with her daughter.
"The rumor mill"
Another example of the great chemistry between old friends Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci.
"A daughter of the year"
Mom and dad have some questions about Olive's new wardrobe.
"Easy A" opens nationwide on Sept. 17.
For the latest entertainment commentary and breaking news year round, follow Gregory Ellwood on Twitter @HitFixGregory .
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When The Telefile - TNT & TBS Upfront 2013: Reaping What Other Networks Sowed
- Hulu.com: Is The Office the Definitive TV Show of the '00s? Craziest 'Simpsons' Couch Gag Yet? Denied By PBS?
- State of Decay, TMNT Release Dates Leaked by Gamestop Watch 'The Hangover 3′ Stars Zach Galifianakis and Ken Jeong Perform Stand-Up Together in 1998 'Pacific Rim' Trailer: When Man and Machine Become One
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Reviews Are In! Emma Watson In 'The Bling Ring': The Early Reviews Are In! 'Star Trek' And Klingon: Learn The Language Of The Aliens!
- Weekend Movies: 'Star Trek Into Darkness,' 'Black Rock,' and More Bruce Willis Set for 'Expiration': Actor Will Play Hitman in Next Movie Emma Watson Says She is in No Rush 'To Be Seen as a Woman'
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More The CW's 2013-2014 Schedule: Supernatural Switches Nights Again, The Vampire Diaries Pairs With Reign Watch the Trailers for The CW's New Series, Including The 100, Star-Crossed, and Reign (VIDEO)
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- One Direction Announce Where We Are Stadium Tour for 2014 Miley Cyrus Wants Everyone to Know She's Still Engaged by Posting This New Pic Most Anticipated Album Release for June 2013 – Readers Poll
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013