'The Artist's' Michel Hazanavicus wins the 2012 DGA Award for film
'Project Nim,' 'Curb Your Enthusiasm,' Tony Awards helmers also honored
The Director's Guild of America announced their 2012 DGA Awards this evening and it featured a showdown in the feature film category that had every pundit and Oscar watcher this side of the Mississippi had their eye on: Michel Hazanavicus of "The Artist" vs. the legendary Martin Scorsese of "Hugo" fame. With the Producer's Guild having already awarded "The Artist" their best picture equivalent last weekend if "The Artist" could take the DGA honor its would pretty much lock up best picture.*
*The SAG Awards are expected to go to the more star-friendly ensembles of "The Help" or "The Descendants" or even "Bridesmaids" Sunday night.
A Scorsese win would have been a huge boost to "Hugo" which actually has 11 Oscar nominations to "The Artist's" 10 and seen as the only real threat at the moment to the almost silent black and white homage winning the big prize. Instead, the DGA honored Hazanavicus with their honor. The second year in a row a relatively unknown European director captured the prize ("The King's Speech's" Tom Hooper won last year's honor). So, while it won't mean much to the general public, this is a huge win for The Weinstein Company who appear to have their second best picture winner in a row on the horizon.
In other categories, James Marsh, who just debuted the disappointing drama "Shadow Dancer" at Sundance last week, won the documentary directing honor for "Project Nim." That critically acclaimed doc was snubbed from an Academy Award nomination and Marsh will have to find some solace in his DGA Awards win tonight.
On the television side, the DGA featured some strange winners including Jon Cassar for "The Kennedsy" in TV Movies/Mini-Series, Patty Jenkins for "The Killing" pilot, Robert B. Weide for the almost forgotten season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and Neil P. Degroot for "The Biggest Loser." Additionally, Glenn Weiss received some well-deserved recognition for his direction of the 64th Annual Tony Awards.
The complete list of this year's winners are as follows:
Michel Hazanavicus, "The Artist" (The Weinstein Company)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Documentary:
James Marsh, "Project Nim" (Roadside Attractions)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Movies for Television and Mini-Series:
Jon Cassar, "The Kennedys" (Reelz)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Dramatic Series:
Patty Jenkins, "The Killing," "Pilot" (AMC)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Comedy Series:
Robert B. Weide, "Curb Your Enthusiasm," "Palestinian Chicken" (HBO)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Musical Variety:
Glenn Weiss, 65th Annual Tony Awards (CBS)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Reality Programs:
Neil P. Degroot, "The Biggest Loser," "Episode #1115" (NBC)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Daytime Serials:
William Ludel – "General Hospital," “Intervention” (ABC)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Children’s Programs:
Amy Schatz – A Child’s Garden of Poetry (HBO)
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Commercials:
What did you think of this year's DGA winners? Share your thoughts below.
For year round entertainment commentary and awards season news follow @HItFixGregory on Twitter.
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
over 1 year ago
over 1 year ago
|Discuss Awards General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- Laura Prudom: The Ultimate Sacrifice You Won't Believe What He Stole From George W. Bush It's Getting Ugly
- Interview: Noah Baumbach on how Frances Ha helped him see New York City with new eyes Random Roles: James Urbaniak on Venture Bros.’ return and Hal Hartley’s Lord Of The Rings Watch This: The second half of Twilight Zone: The Movie more than makes up for the first
- 'American Idol' Recap: Top 2 Perform Shakira Leaving 'The Voice' Next Season Source Claims Kanye West + Kim Kardashian Will Most Likely Break Up Before the Baby Is Born
- 'Supernatural' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Arrow' Season Finale Review: "Sacrifice" 'Modern Family' Review: "Games People Play"
- What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More Arrow Season 1 Finale Review: The Tragedies of Men Grimm "The Waking Dead" Review: Dead On Arrival
- 'Angry Birds' Film Dive-Bombing Into Theaters In 2016 'Fast & Furious 6' Blasts Forward With Exclusive Clip: Watch Now! 'Riddick' Trailer: Watch Vin Diesel Fight For Survival
- Total Recall: Star Trek Movies Parental Guidance: Star Trek Into Darkness In Pictures: The Stars of Star Trek Into Darkness
- 'Riddick' Trailer: Vin Diesel Is Back and Playing for Blood 'Rio 2' Teaser Trailer Has Landed: Let's Dance! Cannes 2013: Celebs Invade Opening Ceremony (PHOTOS)
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013
The Weinstein Company steers the drama away from Oscar seasonSaturday, May 11, 2013
Where's Mimi?Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Plus: Tracy Morgan as...?Sunday, Apr 28, 2013