'The Impossible,' 'Zero Dark Thirty' and 'Holy Motors' are the best films of 2012
Generally a passionless but very good year for movies
2. "Zero Dark Thirty"
Kathryn Bigelow's startling achievement chronicles the 10 year hunt for Osama Bin Laden and intentionally leaves you pondering what's next. Not just for Maya (Jessica Chastsain), the CIA operative who makes it her personal obsession to find Bin Laden, but the nation as a whole.
1. "The Impossible"
A remarkable masterpiece from director Juan Antonio Bayona, "The Impossible" transports the viewer into the perilous journey of a family whose life is almost swept away by the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami while on holiday in Thailand. Based on a true story - perhaps more true than any "true story" this year - the drama is a riveting experience that will leave you breathless and emotionally drained. No other film moved me more.
"Silver Linings Playbook"
A career pinnacle for David O. Russell. Funny, moving and oh, so real.
"Perks of Being a Wallflower"
A great coming of age movie for adults. Will grow in stature over the years.
A gorgeous, expertly directed adaptation of Tolstoy's classic novel. Imagine if Kate Winslet had been the lead instead of Knightley?
Two very good movies in one.
"The Cabin in the Woods"
Would have been a sensation if released two years ago as planned. Now, an instant cult classic.
"The Dark Knight Rises"
Unfairly judged under a microscope because of its predecessor, "Rises" is still one of the best 20 movies of 2012 and easily one of the best comic book or superhero movies of all-time.
"End of Watch"
A very good movie featuring the best work of Jake Gyllenhaal's career.
"Rust and Bone"
A great movie until it severely falters in the third act.
The most unexpected polarizing studio release of the year.
"21 Jump Street"
Funnier than anyone ever expected. Almost makes you hope they don't make the scheduled sequel.
Knockdown, classic performances. Unfortunately, most of the critics in America won't admit they have no idea what it wants to say (and no, Anderson didn't intend for it to be a rorschach test for moviegoers).
Loved the performances, but not sure some of Haneke's choices work as intended though.
"Life of Pi"
The most beautiful second act of any film in recent memory.
Frustrating, but compelling.
Agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million 'Arrested Development' Gang: Where Are They Now? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': What's Next For J.J. Abrams And The Cast?
- Heather Wagner: 'Hot In Orange County' John Barrowman's Surprising New Role WATCH: How A Frog Transformed Kerry Washington's Thinking
- Crosstalk: How does Chris Brown get away with it? For Our Consideration: What do we mean when we call music pretentious? Interview: Michael Cera on the evolution of George Michael Bluth and working in Arrested Development’s writers’ room
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters': Jeremy Renner Never Read the Script Before Signing On 'Angry Birds' Movie Flies Forward Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique: First Look at the Actress in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past'
- The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H The Telefile - Game of Thrones: Our Weekly Westeros Scorecard
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2: Will Norman Go Full 'Psycho?' FX's 'The Strain' Taps 'Alias' Star Mia Maestro as Female Lead FX's 'Tyrant': Ang Lee Drops out of Directing the Pilot, Cites 'Life of Pi' Exhaustion
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of Rectify and Hawaii Five-0 and the Series Premieres of The Goodwin Games and Motive Mad Men "The Crash" Review: Uppers Give You Wings!
- Ranking the Blockbusters with Summer Movie Scorecard 2013 RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Last Stand and Side Effects Box Office Guru Wrapup: Star Trek Softer Than Expected at #1
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013