'The Impossible,' 'Zero Dark Thirty' and 'Holy Motors' are the best films of 2012
Generally a passionless but very good year for movies
If you were to have asked me last June if 2012 was a good year for movies my answer would have been a definitive "no." Sure, "The Avengers," "Moonrise Kingdom," "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and the long delayed "Cabin the Woods" provided some refuge, but for the most part the first half of this year was full of forgettable films. This isn't necessarily anything new. The better prestige films always tend to begin their roll outs in September. By December - all of a sudden - there are seemingly enough great movies for people to champion. The difference with 2012 is that while there were a lot of very good movies, there weren't necessarily a significant number of great movies.
In 2011, I chose "Shame," "Drive" and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" as my top three films of the year. Those pictures would easily land the same slots in 2012. More disappointingly, there has been a glut of films that have been severely overrated by my critical and media peers. Unfortunately, sometimes you want something to be so good you overlook is obvious weaknesses. But, I digress…
My personal top 10 took quite awhile to settle on. Luckily, the top four films were pretty set. The bottom six were not and I'm honestly less passionate about them than I have been regarding films from recent year-end lists. The biggest challenge was picking no. 1. In theory, I would make it a tie, but that's a cop out and I decided to chose the picture that moved me more. To each, his own. So, without further delay...
TOP 10 FILMS OF 2012
Not just the best Bond ever, but one of the best thrillers in the past 24 months. It also features, thanks to Javier Bardem, three of the most memorable scenes from a movie this year. 1. Silva's entrance. 2. Bond and Silva's island shooting competition and 3. M and Silva's reunion at Mi-6. A classic.
9. "Moonrise Kingdom"
Longtime Wes devotees may disagree, but "Kingdom" has to be ranked as the best film of Anderson's career. It perfectly captures his voice in an entertaining confection as an island of unhappy adults deal with the sweet indiscretions of young love.
News From Our Partners
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Eight: Blue Is The Warmest Color captures a relationship’s rawness and beauty Hear This: Pantera’s “Walk” is the cry of aggrieved, disaffected youth Watch This: Vanishing Point caters to car nuts and existentialists alike
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013