'Silver Linings Playbook' beats 'Argo' for Toronto Film Festival People's Choice Award
'Seven Psychopaths' wins People's Midnight Madness award
The Toronto International Film Festival announced this year's award winners and moviegoers in the Great White North have once again found a way to influence the always competitive Oscar race.
David O. Russell's adaptation of Matthew Quick's novel "The Silver Linings Playbook" won the notable People's Choice Award this year. Ben Affleck's "Argo" and Eran Rikli's "Zaytoun" were first and second runners up. "Playbook" now joins "Slumdog Millionaire," "The King's Speech" and "Precious" as recent awards season players who were able to snag the festival's most publicity worthy honor. Even if it doesn't lead to Oscar glory, the win certainly is a key indicator that The Weinstein Company may have a much needed box office smash waiting in the wings.
Having attended the world premiere of "Playbook" at Roy Thompson Hall, it was clear the audience adored the unexpected love story. Moreover, Weinstein not only has a serious best picture player on their hands but a best actor candidate in Bradley Cooper, a best actress contender in Jennifer Lawrence and directing and potential screenwriting and directing nods for Russell. And don't be surprised if Robert De Niro sneaks into the best supporting actor field for his first nomination in 20 years.
[Watch an extended clip from "Silver Linings Playbook" at the top of this post.]
Among the festival's other honors, CBS Films' "Seven Psychopaths" took home the Midnight Madness People's Choice Award giving the CBS film division their first awards worthy picture in their short history. The dark comedy starring Sam Rockwell, Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken and Woody Harrelson arrives in theaters on Oct. 12. Barry Levinson's warmly received "The Bay" was first runner up in this category. Sundance Film Festival Midnight selection "John Dies at the End" was second runner up.
In something of a shock, the People's Choice Award for Documentary went to "Artifact." The doc focusing on the difficulties of Jared Leto and his band Thirty Second to Mars in the music business beat out "Storm Surfers 3D" and "Revolution." It was assumed that Sarah Polley's critically acclaimed "Stories We Tell" would win this honor, but doc went home empty handed.
Other winners included "Laurence Anyways" for Best Canadian Feature Film and "Antiviral" and "BlackBird" for Best Canadian First Film. The FIPRESCI International Critic's prizes when to Francois Ozen's "Dans la maison" and Mikael Marcimain's "Call Girl."
News From Our Partners
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- EA Teases Possible Star Wars: Battlefront Return Tom Cruise Leaves 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' to Focus on 'Mission: Impossible 5′ Black Ops 2 Revolution DLC Free This Weekend
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013