'Moonrise Kingdom' breaks 'Brokeback Mountain's' all-time per screen record
Memorial Day weekend's must-see in LA and NY
Welcome back Wes Anderson.
After strong reviews following its debut as the opening night film at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom" ruled the box office in New York and Los Angeles this holiday weekend. The Focus Features release grossed $509,000 on just four screens in New York and Los Angeles for a remarkable $127,500 per screen. That breaks the art-house record for another Focus Features classic, "Brokeback Mountain." The Ang Lee phenomenon averaged $109,485 in Dec. 2005.
Last year, Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" also sent the May limited release world in a tizzy with a $599,003 debut and a $99,834 per screen in six theaters. "Paris" played incredibly well in expansion and turned out to be Allen's biggest hit of his career ending up with $56.8 million domestically, a best picture nomination and a best original screenplay Oscar win.
Comparatively, you could argue that Lee Daniels' "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" is the most impressive limited debut of all-time. It averaged a remarkable $104,025, which was second to only "Brokeback" until this weekend, but in a stunning 18 theaters back in Nov. 2009. For those playing at home, the more theaters you add to a film's release pattern the more you usually dilute the per screen average. So, that high a number on 18 is somewhat astounding.
Considering the lackluster performance of any wide release this month besides "The Avengers," Hollywood can happily look at "Moonrise's" performance as a sign that audiences are eager for quality films in their local multiplex. Well, perhaps just in New York and Los Angeles at the moment, but any good news is welcome at this point. The performance should also provide some optimism for Fox Searchlight who is opening another Cannes screener, "Beasts of the Southern Wild," in limited release on July 5.
As for "Moonrise Kingdom's" long term prospects, the period charmer will expand to San Francisco, Dallas, Washington, D.C. and Chicago on Friday. Further expansion will take place on June 8. Anderson's highest grossing picture to date is 2001's "The Royal Tenebaums" which made $52.3 million thanks to some major star-power and producer Scott Rudin hurricane-like will. At a minimum, "Moonrise" should easily beat the $21 million 2009's "Fantastic Mr. Fox" found. Still, it will be interesting to see how the film plays across the country in the weeks to come.
On the awards side, it's hard to see "Kingdom" not being recognized in the original screenplay and art direction categories.
Did you catch "Moonrise" this weekend? What did you think?
News From Our Partners
- WATCH: Jon Stewart Shuts Down Bill O'Reilly '900 Pound Man: The Race Against Time': Is It Too Late? Ashley Benson Is Not Dating All Of Her Friends
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Nashville Season Finale Review: Funerals, Proposals, Car Accidents, Oh My? What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds
- The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Weekend Movies: 'The Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6,' & 'Epic' (VIDEO) 'Dazed and Confused' Sequel: Richard Linklater Says It May Shoot This Fall Morgan Freeman Falls Asleep During Interview for New Movie
- 'Rush' Trailer: The Risk of Death Turns People On Need for Speed Rivals Will Race onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Sonic: Lost World's Six New Characters are Teased
- Former Cast Member Bill Hader Reveals Justin Bieber Was Diva on 'SNL' Set Rihanna vs. Nicki Minaj: Which Diva Has the Best Booty? – Readers Poll Rita Ora Dyes Her Hair Bright Blue [Pics]
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013