Kristen Stewart faces the paparazzi to support 'On the Road'
When celebrity news turns into a business story
TORONTO – Y’know, it hasn’t been the best month or two for Kristen Stewart.
In theory, Stewart should be on top of the world. The 22-year-old just starred in her first legitimate blockbuster outside of the “Twilight Saga”, June’s “Snow White and the Huntsman.” And in May, she found herself walking the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival where Walter Salles’ prestige player “On the Road” debuted. Unfortunately, well, that thing with her “Snow White” director happened.
We don’t regularly cover celebrity or tabloid stories at HitFix. It’s actually something we avoid because it's really not news. Certainly not "entertainment" news. On the other hand, when it affects the production of a movie, TV show, album, etc. it’s not just a personal story anymore, it’s business. And, HitFix covers the entertainment business. So, when it was revealed Kristen Stewart was going to walk the red carpet at the North American premiere of “Road” during this year’s Toronto International Film Festival we had to be there. This was Stewart’s first press line since her very public split with her “Twilight” co-star Robert Pattinson and either it would overshadow Salles’ film or it wouldn’t. And that could be a big problem for investors looking to recoup the production cost on "Road."
- Check out everything there is including photos, reviews, videos.
Flash forward to Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012. It’s 8:30 PM EST and Stewart arrives at the Ryerson Theater in Toronto to face a throng of screaming fans and paparazzi. Was Stewart smiling for the cameras? Honestly, no. She didn’t look happy, but she certainly took the time to go over to sign autographs for her fans. Moreover, because the previous event at the theater ran way over Stewart and co-stars Garret Hedlund and Kirsten Dunst spent much longer talking to the press and taking photos than any of their handlers expected. Still, Stewart was the good soldier, didn't do a flyby and race into the theater. Instead, she helped created a ton of press breaks (including this one) for a movie that needs it. Cue the big sigh of relief from the "Road" marketing camp.
Because the picture ended up starting an hour behind schedule and there was another film, Lionsgate’s “Dredd,” screening afterward in the same theater there was only time for a short Q&A (where Stewart dropped her heels for high top sneakers ). Salles took up most of the time with a rambling answer about what inspired him to adapt Jack Kerouac’s legendary novel (to say the “Motorcycle Diaries” helmer is long winded is an understatement), but Stewart was also able to talk briefly about her character Marylou. She revealed that knowing the real woman behind Marylou (Luanne Henderson) lived a fruitful life after the events in the book helped her get through the character's sad arc. And when a fan from the audience asked her a silly question about if she could take a road trip anywhere where would she go? Well, yeah, that happened too.
All and all, a successful night for all concerned. And somewhere, a Summit Publicity executive is thinking to themselves, “Y’know, we might just get through the publicity campaign for the ‘Breaking Dawn, Pt.’ relatively unscathed.” Now, whether Universal pubs can say the same thing about a “Snow White” sequel is another matter entirely.
“On the Road” opens in limited release on Dec. 21.
News From Our Partners
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013