Jessica Chastain and Kathryn Bigelow bring 'Zero Dark Thirty' to Hollywood
The Dolby Theater hosts an early awards season event
HOLLYWOOD - Sony Pictures and Annapurna Productions brought their celebrated thriller "Zero Dark Thirty" to the Dolby Theater Monday night for what turned out to be a star studded premiere.
"Thirty" has already won a slew of major critics' honors including best film of the year from the New York Film Critics Circle, the National Board of Review, the Boston Society of Film Critics and the New York Film Critics Online. Moreover, director Kathryn Bigelow has dominated the best director prizes across the board and Chastain took the best actress prize from the NYFCC and NBR. It's been a good awards season kick-off for Sony's latest best picture contender.
In a pleasant surprise, Chastain was able to get time off from her run in "The Heiress" on Broadway to make the world premiere. On an embarrassing personal note, I almost cut in front of Bigelow at the ticket table outside the Dolby. The Academy Award winning filmmaker showed up with her guest and no handler making her way to find anyone who could direct here where to go. It was a rare sighting at a Hollywood premiere, but quite refreshing to see her patiently wait in a mixed up line to find out where to go.
Unexpectedly for such a diverse and global cast, Chastain's co-stars Jason Clarke, Jennifer Ehle, Edgar Ramirez, Chris Pratt, Kyle Chandler, Marc Strong, Mark Duplass and Harold Perrineau were also all on hand. Some of the other notables included Sony Pictures Chairwoman Amy Pascal, Alexandar Skarsgard, Pratt's wife Anna Faris, Aaron Paul and Milla Jovovich.
Watching "Thirty" again, there is no doubt the thriller has solidified a place in one of the top positions on my year-end top ten list. Bigelow's direction, screenwriter Mark Boal's script and cinematographer Greig Fraser's work are just masterful and the picture is a must for the big screen. Moreover, it's clear Chastain and "Silver Lining Playbook's" Jennifer Lawrence are going to be duking it out for the best actress Oscar for weeks.
"Zero Dark Thirty" opens in limited release on Dec. 19.
[Above: Producer Megan Ellison, Kyle Chandler, Edgar Ramirez, Producer/Writer Mark Boal, Jessica Chastain, Jason Clarke, Mark Duplass and Harold Perrineau at the world premiere of "Zero Dark Thirty"]
News From Our Partners
- Mega Man X Trailer: The Blue Bomber Busts His Way to Wii U Next Week The Wrap Up: Charlie Sheen Gets a New Name For 'Machete Kills' New 'Man of Steel' TV Spot: "Why Did You Send Me Here?"
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Ten: The big wrap-up, including Jim Jarmusch's fantastic vampire film Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- 'Star Wars: Episode VI': What's Its Legacy... And Its Future? 'Arrested Development' Season Four: Eight Things To Remember 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In!
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Demi Lovato Is Thrilled That Her Voice Is Finally Being Heard on Radio [Video] One Direction's Niall Horan Spends the Night With UK TV Star Louise Thompson Kelly Clarkson Denies 'American Idol' Judging Gig
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
For both good and bad reasonsSaturday, May 25, 2013
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013