'Hitchcock' crashes the awards season party with a last minute November release
HBO's 'The Girl' arrives a month earlier
Get ready for a lot of Alfred Hitchcock over the next few months.
Fox Searchlight made a surprise announcement this morning that Sacha Gervasi's "Hitchcock" will open in theaters on Nov. 23. This was unexpected as "Hitchcock" was in production just this past Spring and while Searchlight felt they had something special on its hands, they didn't believe they could get manufacture all the necessary trappings of a proper awards season prestige campaign in time. The studio is so enamored with the film they've decided to take the chance.
Based on the novel "Alfred Hitchock and the Making of Psycho," the drama stars Sir Anthony Hopkins as the iconic director, Helen Mirren as his wife Alma, Scarlett Johansson as Janet Leigh, James D'Arcy as Anthony Perkins, Michael Stuhlbarg as Lew Wasserman, Jessica Biel as Vera Miles and Toni Collette as his assistant Peggy Robertson. While the film has been described as a behind-the-scenes look at the making of "Psycho," it's actually a love story between Hitchock and his wife who edited, supervised reshoots and worked on the screenplay.
"Hitchock" will be Gervasi's feature directorial debut. He previously helmed the critically acclaimed documentary "Anvil: The Story of Anvil" and his produced screenplays include Steven Spielberg's "The Terminal" and the indie "Henry's Crime."
The studio has high hopes for best picture, Hopkins in the best actor race, Mirren in best actress and possibly Johannson in supporting actress. Danny Elfman is doing the score which hasn't even been completed at press time.
"Hitchock" will open in limited release on Nov. 23. That will be just a month after HBO's "The Girl" debuts. The HBO film stars Toby Jones as Hitchock and focuses on his relationship with star Tippi Hedren (Sienna Miller). That film finds Imelda Staunton playing Alma and Penelope Wilton as Peggy. It is scheduled to premiere on Oct. 20. This has to be deja vu for Jones. He previously starred as Truman Capote in Douglas McGrath's "Infamous" only to have "Capote" arrive in theaters first with Philip Seymour Hoffman taking home his first Oscar for best actor. Perhaps Jones and Hopkins can both win in their respective categories at the Golden Globes and SAG Awards.
News From Our Partners
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013