Four examples of why 'Les Miserables' is generating major Oscar hype
Scenes featuring Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne, Amanda Seyfried, Hugh Jackman and newcomer Samantha Barks
NEW YORK -- Having just come from interviewing the cast of "Les Miserables," I can tell you there is a genuine excitement in the air. Tom Hooper's adaptation of the long-running and now classic musical was a difficult gig for everyone involved and the almost unanimous enthusiasm over the finished product has clearly lifted a weight off their shoulders (you'd have to assume Hooper's as well, but he was still in Los Angeles where he attended last night's Governors Awards).
Many moviegoers don't like to watch clips before seeing a film, but if you're still unsure what the hype is all about these four should make it incredibly clear. Hooper's decision to have his actors sing live is close to a game changer and are one reason "Les Miz" is going to be part of the Oscar discussion for quite some time. Universal Pictures was also smart in making sure each preview was over a minute long so viewers could appreciate the performances and music at work.
The first clip, embedded at the top of this post, features "At the End of the Day" sung by Anne Hathaway and, effectively, the film's chorus.
Javert releases the prisoner features the operatic sing song between Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) and Javert (Russell Crowe). Crowe, unfortunately, is the weakest performance in the film and watching this clip will immediately tell you why.
One of Jackman's shining moments is with the song "Who Am I." This is a good portion of the scene, but without its climactic moment in a French courtroom (have to save something for the theater).
"Les Miserables" second half features the emotional and uplifting romance between Cosette (Amanda Seyfried) and Marius (Eddie Redmayne) that begins with "A Heart Full of Love." The former has a surprisingly beautiful voice, but the latter? Well, I'm not sure he work in "Mamma Mia" provided a hint she could sound this angelic.
The big discovery in "Les Miserables" is British newcomer Samantha Barks (at least to audiences outside the U.K.). Hear her a sample of her wonderful rendition of "On My Own" in the final preview from "Les Miz" and you'll understand why, like Hathaway, she's receiving best supporting actress buzz.
"Les Miserables" will begin its love affair with audiences as it opens nationwide on Christmas Day.
News From Our Partners
- HomeVideo Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Howl’s Moving Castle TV Club 10: What made The Middle one of the best family comedies in years For Our Consideration: Will indie-rock reunions become just part of the plan?
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults The Telefile - Saturday Night Live: Straight Outta 8H
- Who Won 'DWTS'? Backstage Drama Leads To 'Nashville' Changes Who Went Home On 'The Voice'?
- 'Grimm' Season Finale Review: "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" 'The Killing' Season 3′s Latest Trailer: The Beginning of a New Spree! 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Zod Will Make Us Suffer
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013