Contender Countdown: 'Les Miserables' gets ready for its close up
Plus: 'Silver Linings Playbook' takes a slip
Seemingly as always, Hollywood has a lot to be thankful for. The box office has been on an upswing the past six weeks and with "The Hobbit," "Django Unchained" and "Les Miserables" arriving next month ticket sales should remain strong. But for many consultants and movie marketers this holiday weekend won't be a relaxing vacation.
The condensed awards calendar means two different studios will be debuting two major contenders for guild members on Saturday and Sunday. In truth, "Les Miserables" will first screen Friday in New York and then have a slew of screenings Saturday in Los Angeles (and the Broadway crowd getting a first look makes complete sense for this one). Sony Pictures will bring Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty" to public view on Sunday. That really only leaves "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and "Django Unchained" on the screening calendar.
Buzz on both "Les Miz" and "Zero" is very good. Look for reaction of some sort - where allowed - on In Contention, HitFix and twitter.
Quietly still on top while the other contenders bang their drums proclaiming their candidacy.
Fantastic box office last weekend which should hold up over the Thanksgiving holiday. It's working so far, but 'Argo' would have to have a disastrous phase 2 campaign to lose to it.
3. Les Miserables
We're all ears.
4. Silver Linings Playbook
Great reviews. Going up against 'Breaking Dawn,' 'Skyfall' and 'Lincoln's' in wide release probably not a good idea. That word of mouth better be as good as we all thought it would be.
5. Life of Pi
Almost great reviews, but in general a notch below the films higher on the countdown.
6. The Impossible
The stealth candidate continues its stealth campaign on both sides of the Atlantic. Oh, and did you know it's grossed almost $50 million in Spain alone?
Denzel will be back on the screening Q&A circuit just in time for a final push next month.
8. Beasts of the Southern Wild
Could be the biggest benefactor of the Thanksgiving weekend screener pile.
9. The Master
Expected to win either LAFCA or NYFCC. If it doesn't? Oh, my.
Sony is campaigning this one as much as they can. It may be all about the messaging in the trade ads to be honest. And some LA-centric awards messaging TV spots wouldn't hurt either.
Do you think "Silver Linings Playbook" still has a chance to win best picture? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Scoop: 'Callie Isn't A Victim' 'Supernatural's' Surprising Ratings Victory Three Years Later, People Are Still Livid About 'Lost'
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013