Contender Countdown: 'Les Miserables' gets ready for its close up
Plus: 'Silver Linings Playbook' takes a slip
Seemingly as always, Hollywood has a lot to be thankful for. The box office has been on an upswing the past six weeks and with "The Hobbit," "Django Unchained" and "Les Miserables" arriving next month ticket sales should remain strong. But for many consultants and movie marketers this holiday weekend won't be a relaxing vacation.
The condensed awards calendar means two different studios will be debuting two major contenders for guild members on Saturday and Sunday. In truth, "Les Miserables" will first screen Friday in New York and then have a slew of screenings Saturday in Los Angeles (and the Broadway crowd getting a first look makes complete sense for this one). Sony Pictures will bring Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty" to public view on Sunday. That really only leaves "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and "Django Unchained" on the screening calendar.
Buzz on both "Les Miz" and "Zero" is very good. Look for reaction of some sort - where allowed - on In Contention, HitFix and twitter.
Quietly still on top while the other contenders bang their drums proclaiming their candidacy.
Fantastic box office last weekend which should hold up over the Thanksgiving holiday. It's working so far, but 'Argo' would have to have a disastrous phase 2 campaign to lose to it.
3. Les Miserables
We're all ears.
4. Silver Linings Playbook
Great reviews. Going up against 'Breaking Dawn,' 'Skyfall' and 'Lincoln's' in wide release probably not a good idea. That word of mouth better be as good as we all thought it would be.
5. Life of Pi
Almost great reviews, but in general a notch below the films higher on the countdown.
6. The Impossible
The stealth candidate continues its stealth campaign on both sides of the Atlantic. Oh, and did you know it's grossed almost $50 million in Spain alone?
Denzel will be back on the screening Q&A circuit just in time for a final push next month.
8. Beasts of the Southern Wild
Could be the biggest benefactor of the Thanksgiving weekend screener pile.
9. The Master
Expected to win either LAFCA or NYFCC. If it doesn't? Oh, my.
Sony is campaigning this one as much as they can. It may be all about the messaging in the trade ads to be honest. And some LA-centric awards messaging TV spots wouldn't hurt either.
Do you think "Silver Linings Playbook" still has a chance to win best picture? Share your thoughts below.
News From Our Partners
- "Fast & Furious 6" vs. "The Hangover: Part III": Which Movie Should You See? (VIDEO) 'Fast and Furious 6' Review: 10 Things You Should Know About the Action-Packed Sequel 'After Earth' Unscripted: Will and Jaden Smith on Filming With Deadly Snakes & On-Set Parenting (VIDEO)
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go?
- Why He Fell Asleep During That Interview Alex Trebek Has Gone Completely Insane Arrested Development Could Really Teach Politicians A Thing Or Two
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- fun. Hit the Jersey Shore for 2013 'TODAY Show' Summer Concert Series Jennifer Hudson Reportedly Confirmed as 'American Idol' Judge Meet the Woman Who Won PopCrush's Autographed Pink Guitar!
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013