Can Michael Peña break through with 'End of Watch'?
Veteran supporting actor has paid his dues
Like many moviegoers across the country this weekend, you may have bought a ticket for David Ayer's new drama "End of Watch" instead of the more hyped offerings such as "Trouble with the Curve" or "House at the End of the Street." And guess what? You made the right choice. One of the better reviewed movies recently, "Watch" follows the working relationship and off the clock friendship between two LAPD officers played by Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena. Gyllenhaal is already being positioned as a contender in the very, very competitive best actor race, but the film's best chances at awards recognition may just be with Mr. Pena in the supporting category.*
*And yes, I clearly realize you could make the argument Pena should also be in the lead field, but SAG and Oscar should buy the supporting claim (maybe).
Pena biggest advantage over some of the other contenders in his category is that he's actually a longtime Hollywood veteran. He's starred in major prestige films such as "Crash," "World Trade Center," "Babe" and "Million Dollar Baby." Plus, he's had his share of big Hollywood studio releases such as "Tower Heist," "30 Minutes or Less" and "Observe and Report." He's also starred on "The Shield" and "Eastbound and Down" working steadily in both movies and TV since 1996. So, in the game of landing a SAG nomination he's worked with a lot of other actors and is respected and well liked. He casts a wide net of recognition in both SAG circles and the Academy's acting branch. Call it cynical, but everyone knows Oscar is a popularity game and if the voters like you personally more than someone else or are rooting for you that can put an underdog nomination over the hump. Obviously, Pena's chances are more complex than his level of notoriety in the LA area acting community. And yet, if his publicist is smart they will make sure Pena does as many SAG events and Q&A's as possible for "Watch" and pray Open Road makes it one of the first screeners to hit the industry watch pile this Fall. And if that happens? We may have a story on our hands Jan. 10.
For more on Pena and his experience working on "Watch" check out the interview embedded at the top of this post.
"End of Watch" is currently playing nationwide.
News From Our Partners
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- 'The World's End' Trailer: Pints, Pals, and Killer Robots! Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga 'Don Jon' Trailer: Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Scarlett Johansson Go Jersey
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013