Can Michael Peña break through with 'End of Watch'?
Veteran supporting actor has paid his dues
Like many moviegoers across the country this weekend, you may have bought a ticket for David Ayer's new drama "End of Watch" instead of the more hyped offerings such as "Trouble with the Curve" or "House at the End of the Street." And guess what? You made the right choice. One of the better reviewed movies recently, "Watch" follows the working relationship and off the clock friendship between two LAPD officers played by Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena. Gyllenhaal is already being positioned as a contender in the very, very competitive best actor race, but the film's best chances at awards recognition may just be with Mr. Pena in the supporting category.*
*And yes, I clearly realize you could make the argument Pena should also be in the lead field, but SAG and Oscar should buy the supporting claim (maybe).
Pena biggest advantage over some of the other contenders in his category is that he's actually a longtime Hollywood veteran. He's starred in major prestige films such as "Crash," "World Trade Center," "Babe" and "Million Dollar Baby." Plus, he's had his share of big Hollywood studio releases such as "Tower Heist," "30 Minutes or Less" and "Observe and Report." He's also starred on "The Shield" and "Eastbound and Down" working steadily in both movies and TV since 1996. So, in the game of landing a SAG nomination he's worked with a lot of other actors and is respected and well liked. He casts a wide net of recognition in both SAG circles and the Academy's acting branch. Call it cynical, but everyone knows Oscar is a popularity game and if the voters like you personally more than someone else or are rooting for you that can put an underdog nomination over the hump. Obviously, Pena's chances are more complex than his level of notoriety in the LA area acting community. And yet, if his publicist is smart they will make sure Pena does as many SAG events and Q&A's as possible for "Watch" and pray Open Road makes it one of the first screeners to hit the industry watch pile this Fall. And if that happens? We may have a story on our hands Jan. 10.
For more on Pena and his experience working on "Watch" check out the interview embedded at the top of this post.
"End of Watch" is currently playing nationwide.
News From Our Partners
- GIFS: 10 TV Housekeepers That Ran The Show Megan Smolenyak: Celebrity Roots Series "Who Do You Think You Are?" Returns This Is Going To Be AMAZING
- T-ara Member Hyomin Shows Off Her Sexy Side in Korean InStyle [Pics] Listen to David Guetta's Remix of Empire of the Sun's 'Alive Demi Lovato to Have Her Tonsils Removed
- What to Watch Tonight: SYTYCD, Awkward., and the Finales of Grimm, The Game, and DWTS 7 Lessons We Learned from the 2012-2013 TV Season The Big C Series Finale Review: And They Lived Happily Ever After
- In Pictures: The Cars of Fast & Furious Digital Multiplex: Warm Bodies and Aftershock Discover the Best-Reviewed Films in Summer Movie Scorecard 2013
- Is 'Jurassic Park 4' a Reboot? Yes, According to Sam Neill 'Return of the Jedi': 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Original 'Star Wars' Trilogy Finale Melissa McCarthy Fires a 'Tammy' Extra for Mistreating Her Child
- Seth MacFarlane's Next Film: 'Every Line Is Hilarious,' Amanda Seyfried Swears 'The Wolverine' Trailer: Five Questions It Answered 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Takes Box-Office Crown With $84 Million
- Xbox One Will Require Daily Internet Connection 'Hannibal' "Trou Normand" Preview: Is Will Losing His Mind? Quantum Break Trailer: Remedy Returns With Xbox One Exclusive
- Hear This: An early Walkmen song gets anti-nostalgic Watch This: Thunder Road is one of the first, and finest, automotive action movies off the Hollywood lot Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Six: Michael Douglas plays Liberace in Steven Soderbergh’s swan song, Behind The Candelabra
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013
Is it possible to make these kids sympathetic?Monday, May 20, 2013
Where was Peeta?Sunday, May 19, 2013