Brad Pitt has punk criminals to eliminate in new 'Killing Them Softly' trailer
Style and crime in New Orleans
If there is any film I'm disappointed I missed by skipping the 2012 Cannes Film Festival it's Andrew Dominik's "Killing Them Softly." His last picture, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," was one of the best films of 2007 and of the 21st Century's first decade. He's re-teamed with the producer and star of "James," Brad Pitt, for his follow up.
Based on George V. Higgins' 1974 novel "Cogan's Trade," the thriller finds Pitt as Jackie Cogan, an enforcer and set-up man sent to take care of two dumb, young criminals who robbed the mob. Besides Pitt it features an enticing cast including James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ray Liotta, Scoot McNairy ("Monsters") Ben Mendelsohn (Dagget in "The Dark Knight Rises") and Vincent Curatola of "The Sopranos." The reviews were mostly positive out of Cannes with HitFix's own Drew McWeeny called it "stylish and beautifully crafted" while Guy Lodge was less enthusiastic noting "it's the rare genre entertainment one wishes would think a bit less." In either case, Dominik has an eye that makes any of his films (for the time being) a must-see.
A new trailer for "Softly" debuted Wednesday and while it may oversell Pitt's screen time, it certainly lets you know what you're getting into. Check it out below.
"Killing Them Softly" hits theaters on Oct. 19.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: You don’t have to know the words to have fun with this Stone Temple Pilots single Watch This: Ronin is a triumph of crime-flick economy Cannes Film Festival: Cannes, Day Seven: J.C. Chandor makes good, Nicolas Winding Refn goes bad, and Claire Denis gets ugly
- Charlotte Robinson: Somer Bingham Talks LGBT Issues and Life After The Real L Word (AUDIO) PHOTOS: Has Ellen Had Enough Of LA? Jennifer Aniston On 'Friends' Reunion: 'We All Miss Working Together'
- Justin Bieber's 'Baby' Is Highest-Certified Single in History, But His Monkey Is No Longer His Son Ho Young's Girlfriend Found Dead Listen to The-Dream Collaborate With Beyonce on 'Turnt'
- The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced The Telefile - TV on DVD: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 The Telefile - Veep: The Episode's Best Insults
- 'Man Of Steel': Is Zod Superman's Khan? New 'Man of Steel' Trailer: Watch Now! 'The Hangover': Retracing The Success Of A Few Crazy Nights
- 'Metallica Through the Never' Trailer: Angry Mobs and "Master of Puppets" 'Timecop' Being Remade, As All Movies Eventually Must 'We're The Millers' Red Band NSFW Trailer: Jennifer Aniston and Jason Sudeikis Smuggle Drugs
- What to Watch Tonight: The Season Finales of SVU, The Middle, Modern Family, Chicago Fire, Nashville, and Criminal Minds The Critics Choice Awards Nominations Choose Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad The Weirdest, Grossest, Bestest Moments from Netflix's Hemlock Grove, in Pictures and GIFs
- Total Recall: Bradley Cooper's Best Movies Parental Guidance: Epic and Beautiful Creatures Comic Book Movies You Can Watch Online
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013