Adele to perform Oscar-nominated 'Skyfall' during the 85th Academy Awards telecast
First live performance since birth of her son
Screams of joy could be heard from Adeletes around the world this morning after the Academy announced that Grammy-winning superstar Adele would preform during this year's 85th Academy Awards.
Adele, along with co-writer Paul Epworth, is nominated in the best original song category for "Skyfall" the title track of the 2012 billion dollar blockbuster. In a statement released from the Academy Adele noted,"It's an honour to be nominated and terrifyingly wonderful to be singing in front of people who have captured my imagination over and over again. It's something I've never experienced and probably only ever will once!"
"Skyfall" is the first song from a James Bond film to be nominated since "For Your Eyes Only" in 1981. The single hit no. 8 on the Billboard 100 and sold over 1.3 million digital downloads in the U.S. It already won the Golden Globe and Critics Choice' Award for best original song and is nominated for British Single of the year at the 2013 BRIT Awards.
"We have enormous respect for Adele's unique artistry as a songwriter and a singer," said Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the producers of this year's Academy Awards show. "She is currently one of the most successful recording artists in the world, and we believe that her performance of 'Skyfall' will be an exciting Oscar moment for audiences watching at the Dolby Theatre™ and on television screens around the world."
This will be the first time Adele has preformed live since giving birth to her son on Oct. 19, 2012. Moreover, this may be the first time she sings "Skyfall" live as she was unable to help promote the single because of her pregnancy and birth.
ABC executives are also no doubt giving a sigh of relief that they will be able to publicize Adele's involvement during this year's show. The 24-year-old dominated last year's Grammy Awards telecast winning six awards and helping to propel the show's second highest ratings in history. In fact, it edged out the Oscars for one of the first times ever.
It's unclear whether Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson will perform their nominated songs, but you can bet Oscar host Seth MacFarlane finds time to belt out "Everybody Needs a Best Friend."
The 85th Academy Awards will be held on Sunday, Feb. 24 live on ABC beginning at 8 PM ET, 5 PM PT.
News From Our Partners
- 'Hangover III': The Reviews Are In! Jennifer Aniston Breaks Bad, Strips Down In 'We're The Millers' Trailer 'Star Wars' Fans Still Love To Hate Ewoks 30 Years Later
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut What to Watch Tonight: The Season Premiere of Rookie Blue and the Series Premieres of Save Me, Showville, and Does Someone Have to Go? Less Jaywalking, More Web-friendly Clips: Dos and Don'ts for Seth Meyers' Late Night Career
- CBS Fall 2013: 'Intelligence' Extended Trailer Evokes 'Chuck' For Grown-Ups Marvel's 'Avengers Assemble': Producers Explain Movie Tie-In, Plus New Clip! 'Hannibal' Review: "Trou Normand"
- Quicksilver in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past': Evan Peters Cast as Magneto's Son 'Poltergeist' Reboot May Actually Be a Sequel Brad Pitt Shocks Fans at 'World War Z' Screening (VIDEO)
- Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More Video: The Hangover Part III Cast Interviews
- Podmass: David Sedaris describes his bath time, cicadas are explained, and Wompler returns Interview: Mitchell Hurwitz talks about the resurrection of Arrested Development AVQ&A: What pop-culture family would you want to join?
- The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC The Telefile - Modern Family: Goodnight, Gracie. Hello, Series Highlight. The Telefile - Critics' Choice Television Awards 2013: Nominees Announced
- The Saturdays Are Sexy Housewives Seeking a 'Gentleman' in New Video Enter for a Chance to See Emblem3 Live on 'Good Morning America!' Bruno Mars Rumored for 'American Idol' Judge Spot
Working on already infamous 'Gun' is 'so much fun'Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But will you care at the end?Wednesday, May 22, 2013
J.T. on a 'mission to be continually inspired'Tuesday, May 21, 2013
T Bone Burnett spills the beans...a bit earlyMonday, May 20, 2013