2013 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Contenders: From Anne Hathaway to Sally Field
How wide open is the category this year?
Now it's time for the supporting ladies. The actresses who usually steal the movie out from under their leading lady or gentleman co-stars. And unlike the past few years, 2012 seems to be something of a wide open race at the moment.
Outside of Tilda Swinton's somewhat surprising win over Ruby Dee in 2008 and hesitation over Melissa Leo in 2011 following her unfortunate "For Your Consideration" incident, there has been little drama over who will this category in quite some time. While it's still relatively early in the season, it's hard to categorize any of the acclaimed performances so far as frontrunners. Amy Adams was fantastic in "The Master," but will the Academy embrace the movie? "Les Miserables'" Anne Hathaway already sounds tear-inducing, but is the role big enough to win Oscar? Sally Field is very good in Spielberg's "Lincoln," but is she really guaranteed a nomination and should she really be in the three-win club? Maggie Smith dishes out enough zingers to take down a small army in "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel," but is it enough to win? And what of unseen performances by Kerry Washington in "Django Unchained" and Frances McDormand in "Promised Land"? And can Shirley MacLaine return to the Oscar stage as a nominee for "Bernie"? Obviously, there are lots of questions to ponder over the coming weeks in this category. It should be one of the more interesting races of 2013.
For an indepth overview of the entire field, click on the gallery story below composed and constructed by myself, Kris Tapley and Guy Lodge.
Agree or disagree on our thoughts? Share your own below.
News From Our Partners
- The Wrap Up: Remember 'The Office' With the Ultimate Blooper Reel The Sims 3: Island Paradise's Producer Walkthrough Shows Us the Finer Points of Tropical Life 'Man of Steel' Featurette: Reinventing Superman
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- The 'Doctors' Unite 'We Are Men' In 4 Words MTV Legend Recalls Heavy Metal Frontman's Anti-Gay T-Shirt Controversy
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Kendall Schmidt of Big Time Rush Loses $7,000 Worth of Gifts for Fans [Video] Kanye West to Drop New Album 'Yeezus' on June 18 Justin Bieber + Selena Gomez Will Sit Together at 2013 Billboard Music Awards
- Fiery 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Scene Hurt The Most: Ouch! How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain
- Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Three: Cheers for the young stars of The Selfish Giant, jeers for the new films by Hirokazu Kore-eda and Arnaud Desplechin Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures
Love and radiation in a nuclear worldSaturday, May 18, 2013
Harvey holds court with Nicole Kidman and Rooney MaraFriday, May 17, 2013
Francois Ozon's latest isn't as titillating as it wants to beThursday, May 16, 2013
Look who finally made it to the CroisetteWednesday, May 15, 2013