New director signs on for 'The Crow' reboot
Hint: It's a Spanish filmmaker not named Juan Carlos Fresnadillo
Spanish director F. Javier Gutierrez, who helmed the 2008 apocalyptic drama "Before the Fall" (a.k.a. "Tres Dias"), has replaced his countryman Juan Carlos Fresnadillo ("28 Weeks Later") as the director of the forthcoming reboot of "The Crow". The news comes on the heels of the statement released yesterday by Relativity Media and The Weinstein Co. - who had been warring over distribution rights to the film - that they had settled their differences out of court and would be moving forward with the project jointly.
'The Crow' reboot won't have its day in court
The Weinsteins and Relativity make nicey-nice in joint statement released today
The project also has a new writer in the form of Jesse Wigutow (who has performed uncredited work on such projects as "Tron: Legacy" and "8 Mile"), who will be taking over scripting duties from "Watchmen" co-writer Alex Tse.
"'The Crow' adaptation will be a gritty reboot of the iconic character Eric Draven, who returns from the grave as The Crow on a mission to avenge his wife’s murder, so that his soul can finally rest," reads the official press release. "The original film is known for its breakthrough visual style as well as its unique production design and cinematography. The project is currently in development; start of production, targeted release dates and casting to be announced."
For the record, Relativity CEO Ryan Kavanaugh is listed as a producer on the project, while The Weinstein Company’s Harvey and Bob Weinstein are listed as executive producers.
The original film, based on the comic book series by James O'Barr, was released in 1994 to critical acclaim and over $50 million in domestic box-office (on a reported budget of $23 million). It gained notoriety when star Brandon Lee was killed in a freak on-set accident near the end of production.
Gutierrez's "Before the Fall" won numerous awards during its international festival run, including for Best Director at the 2009 Screamfest genre film festival in Los Angeles.
If anyone reading has seen "Before the Fall" and has thoughts on whether Gutierrez is the right choice for the reboot, sound off below!
Trending Now on HitFix Boards
|Topic||Started By||Latest Post||Replies|
2 months ago
4 months ago
|Discuss Movies General on HitFix Message Boards »|
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- Will Smith Raps 'Fresh Prince' Theme with Jaden, Dances "Carlton" and "Apache" with Alfonso Ribiero 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6: Kurt Sutter to Launch 'Talking Dead'-Style Companion Piece? The CW's 'Cult' Returns from Cancellation June 28
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then