'X-Men: First Class' gets a new Beast, Havok and Banshee
But Kick Ass won't be playing Cyclops
James McAvoy and Michael Fassbener are already on board as Prof. Charles Xavier and Magneto, but who will play the actual young "X-Men" in the new movie of the same title? Lots of rumors have been spreading across the web, but a couple of castings decisions have finally come to light. Maybe.
Nicholas Hoult, best known for "A Single Man" and "About a Boy," is said to be stepping into the role of Beast. It's unclear whether this will be the blue and furry Hank McCoy or the more built, big footed Beast of the early X-Men comics. A blue version was portrayed by Kelsey Grammer in 2006's "X-Men: The Last Stand."
Little known Caleb Landry Jones, who has the upcoming films "The Last Exorcism" and "The Social Network" on his release schedule, is set to play the screaming Banshee. Not an original member of the X-Men, Banshee was known for his Irish roots, but its unclear whether the Texas native will sport an accent for his portrayal of the sonic producing mutant.
Lastly, Lucas Til, who played Miley Cyrus' boyfriend in "Hannah Montana: The Movie," is in negotiations to play the role of Havok. An extremely powerful mutant who can harness "cosmic energy," the comic book incarnation of Havok is really Alex Summers, the brother of Scott Summers, aka Cyclops.
Some reports have said director Matthew Vaughn's "Kick-Ass" star Aaron Johnson is taking the role of Cycops, but according to Entertainment Weekly, that's not the case. Additionally, the outlet reports that while Landry-Jones, Hoult and Til will all have roles in "X-Men: First Class," they may not be for those respective characters and that 20th Century Fox is engaging in a campaign of misinformation to keep fans guessing. Whether or not that bizarre public relations strategy is true, fans shouldn't have to wait long as "First Class" will begin shooting this summer in London.
Additional roles cast in the film include Alice Eve as Emma Frost and rumors that Rosamund Pike will play Xavier's confidante Moria MacTaggert and Amber Heard will surface as a young Mystique. No word yet if Cyclops or Jean Grey will be represented.
"X-Men: First Class" is currently scheduled for a June 7, 2010 release.
News From Our Partners
- Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Christopher Nolan for James Bond Movie? Director Allegedly Courted to Direct Edward Furlong, 'Terminator 2' Star, Arrested Again Cannes 2013: $1M in Jewelry Stolen at Film Festival
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When
- Justin Bieber vs. Austin Mahone – PopCrush Prom King of 2013, Round 3 Demi Lovato Sings Selena Gomez's Praises [Video] Oreo 'Wonderfilled' Ad – What's the Song?
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season What to Watch Tonight: The Office's Big Farewell and the Season Finales of TVD, Elementary, and Five More
- YESSSSSSS... Who Won 'American Idol' 2013? The Ultimate Office Blooper Reel
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- 'Frances Ha' Review 'Star Wars: Episode 7′ — The Real Reason J.J. Abrams Left 'Star Trek' Sega Game Gear Classics Headed to Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console