'Wizards of Waverly Place' telefilm conjures huge ratings
Selena Gomez and company draw Disney Channel's biggest audience since 'High School Musical 2'
The "Wizards of Waverly Place" movie drew a whopping 11.4 million viewers, a figure that includes 4.5 million kids 6-11 and 4 million tweens 9-14. In total viewers, it became cable's most-watched entertainment telecast of 2009, but in the two aforementioned demos, it stands as the year's most watched entertainment telecast on any network.
Disney Channel now has basic cable's four most-watched scripted telecasts since 2007. The August 2007 premiere of "High School Musical 2" averaged an insane 17.2 million viewers and helped lift an episode of "Hannah Montana" that same night to 10.7 million. Earlier this summer, the crossover "Wizards On Deck with Hannah Montana" averaged 9.3 million.
For the summer, "Wizards of Waverly Place The Movie," "Wizards On Deck with Hannah Montana" and the Disney Channel telefilm "Princess Protection Program" are the top three scripted cable telecasts in viewers.
In addition to delivering Disney Channel's top ratings in nearly every major demo since the "High School Musical 2" premiere, "Wizards of Waverly Place The Movie" dominated the Friday night television landscape. On the network side, CBS was the night's champ with an average of only 5.9 million viewers.
The third season of "Wizards of Waverly Place," which stars Selena Gomez, David Henrie and Jake T. Austin, is now in production.
Be sure to follow HitFix on Twitter for all of your breaking news needs.
News From Our Partners
- Hear This: Destroy This Place shows how press releases can get it right Watch This: With Beavis And Butt-head Do America, Mike Judge skewered the idiocy of cinematic adventures Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Two: Iranian director Asghar Farhadi chases A Separation with another stunning drama
- Beyonce Pregnant Again? Sources Confirm 'Epic' Star Is Carrying Baby No. 2 'Hangover 3' Red Band Trailer: Take a Walk Down a NSFW Memory Lane (VIDEO) Why 'Man of Steel' Didn't Use 'Superman' in the Title
- Weekly Ketchup: Will Smith to Star in Wild Bunch Remake? Critics Consensus: Star Trek Into Darkness is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Roundup: Star Trek Into Darkness Edition
- Amazon Picks Up John Goodman's 'Alpha House,' Computer Comedy 'Betas' 'Rapturepalooza' Trailer: Anna Kendrick Gets Seduced by Satan 'Doctor Who' Season 8: Matt Smith Confirmed to Stay Another Year?
- Behind The Shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale WATCH: Tobias Fünke's New Sizzle Reel Is Epic JLo Steals Spotlight On 'American Idol'
- How Far Will 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Boldly Go At Box Office? 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Secret Behind The Mystery Villain 'Pacific Rim' Trailer Surfaces: Watch Now!
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Season Finales of Nikita, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, and Family Guy The Office Series Finale Review: That'll Do, Show. That'll Do. Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for a Fifth and Final Season
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Modern Family: The Best Lines of the Night The Telefile - Fall TV 2013: What's On When