While mulling third film, Sony bringing 'Ghostbusters' back to the big screen
1984 classic will screen in 500 theaters, while 'Ghostbisters 3' remains in limbo
The long-awaited "Ghostbusters 3" may be stuck in a supernatural limbo, but you'll soon be able to see Venkman, Egon, Ray and Winston back on the big screen.
Perhaps to gauge audience interest in a long-promised third installment, Sony is re-releasing the original 1984 supernatural comedy hit "Ghostbusters" for a limited theatrical run, screening every Thursday in October.
The film, directed by Ivan Reitman (father of "Up in the Air" helmer Jason Reitman) will be shown in almost 500 theatres on October 13th, 20th, and 27th, with one showtime each day. "Ghostbusters" will be presented in 2K digital with 5.1 surround sound. For information on international locations and dates, click here.
For those of you who live in containment unit, "Ghostbusters" stars Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson as paranormal investigators who run into some freaky ghouls in NYC, including the super- sexy, and super-possessed, Sigourney Weaver, and her nerdy neighbor Rick Moranis.
A less-successful sequel followed in 1989, and a belated third film may finally be in-the-works, but perhaps without Murray.
"We’re delighted to be bringing Ghostbusters back to the big screen," said Sony exec Rory Bruer in a press release, "this is a special celebration of the movie, giving the fans a chance to see it on the big screen in perfect digital presentation. As we head towards Halloween, we ain’t afraid of no ghosts, but just the same, we’re glad that everyone’s favorite paranormal eliminators are on the case."
While we're all here, what's your favorite "Ghostbusters" line? "Since I joined these men, I've seen sh*t that'll turn you white!" or maybe "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
News From Our Partners
- The Telefile - The Most Heinous Person on Reality TV This Week The Telefile - Does Someone Have to Go?: Work Sucks.... If You Are On This Show The Telefile - Save Me: Lightning Strikes NBC
- 'Fast & Furious 6': The Reviews Are In! 'Return Of The Jedi' Turns 30: Secrets Of Ewok Language Revealed! 'Fast & Furious 6' Expected To Lap 'Hangover III' At Box Office
- Hear This: “Second Best” reflects a pivotal moment all serious bands face Watch This: The wages and the fear remain high in William Friedkin’s Sorcerer Cannes Film Festival: Cannes 2013, Day Nine: James Gray and Joaquin Phoenix reteam for a compelling period drama
- Baz Luhrmann Passed on Directing 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone' Someone Just Paid $1.5 Million to Sit Next to Leonardo DiCaprio in Space Tim Curry Is Fine After Suffering a Massive Stroke: Report
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black, Behind the Candelabra, and Arrested Development's Netflix Debut Do These Four New Arrested Development Clips Get You Excited for the Show's Return? (VIDEO) Arrested Development Q&A: Alia Shawkat on Maeby, the Return of the Show, and the Canonization of Mitch Hurwitz
- What Netflix Really Wants Out Of 'Arrested Development' What To Watch This Memorial Day Weekend Is The New 'Bachelorette' Engaged?
- Would You Rather… Hang Backstage with One Direction or the Jonas Brothers? Watch Kesha Perform 'Machine Gun Love' Live See Pictures of Your Favorite Celebrity Couples Now + Then
- Weekly Ketchup: Fox and Marvel Both Courting Quicksilver for Comic Blockbusters Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh Red Carpet Photos with Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and More